Car Ploughs Into Pedestrians in Italy, Eight Injured
A man drove a car at high speed into pedestrians in Modena on Saturday, injuring eight people, including four seriously, according to Italian authorities. One woman suffered devastating injuries and had both legs amputated. The vehicle crashed into a shop window near the city’s cathedral before the driver emerged carrying a knife and attacked a passer-by who tried to stop him.
The suspect, a 31-year-old Italian national of Moroccan origin, was eventually restrained by bystanders after injuring a man who chased him. Witnesses said the car suddenly accelerated toward the pavement at speeds estimated around 100 km/h, sending people flying. Officials said the suspect had previously been referred to a mental health centre in 2022 for schizoid disorders but later disappeared from treatment monitoring.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as “extremely serious” and visited victims in hospital alongside President Sergio Mattarella. Meloni also praised passer-by Luca Signorelli for intervening to stop the suspect despite being attacked with a knife. Authorities are continuing their investigation into the motive behind the attack.
Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright