featured News Trending

A man drove a car at high speed into pedestrians in Modena on Saturday, injuring eight people, including four seriously, according to Italian authorities. One woman suffered devastating injuries and had both legs amputated. The vehicle crashed into a shop window near the city’s cathedral before the driver emerged carrying a knife and attacked a passer-by who tried to stop him.

The suspect, a 31-year-old Italian national of Moroccan origin, was eventually restrained by bystanders after injuring a man who chased him. Witnesses said the car suddenly accelerated toward the pavement at speeds estimated around 100 km/h, sending people flying. Officials said the suspect had previously been referred to a mental health centre in 2022 for schizoid disorders but later disappeared from treatment monitoring.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as “extremely serious” and visited victims in hospital alongside President Sergio Mattarella. Meloni also praised passer-by Luca Signorelli for intervening to stop the suspect despite being attacked with a knife. Authorities are continuing their investigation into the motive behind the attack.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A tragic incident unfolded in Leipzig, where a car drove into a crowd in the busy Grimmaische Straße area on Monday afternoon, leaving two people dead and at least 22 others injured. Authorities confirmed that three victims are in serious condition. Emergency services quickly responded as chaos spread through the central shopping district following the high-speed collision.

Mayor Burkhard Jung stated that the 33-year-old German suspect has been arrested, though the motive behind the attack remains unclear. Officials believe the act was carried out by a lone perpetrator, with no immediate indication of a broader threat to public safety. Michael Kretschmer noted that the suspect had a history of mental illness.

Prosecutors have identified the victims as a 63-year-old woman and a 77-year-old man, both German citizens, and confirmed that the suspect is being investigated for murder and attempted murder. Authorities emphasized that there is currently no evidence suggesting a political or religious motive. The incident has once again raised concerns, as Germany has witnessed similar car-ramming attacks in recent years.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

News Trending

The death of a teenager shot by police at close range in France has sparked protests and unrest in various cities. However, the Interior Minister has reported a quieter night of protests with fewer arrests compared to previous nights.

The most intense clashes occurred in the southern city of Marseille. In a Paris suburb, attackers targeted the mayor’s house, injuring his wife as she attempted to flee with their children. The funeral for the teenager, Nahel M, was held with large crowds in attendance. The Interior Minister commended law enforcement for their actions, which contributed to a relatively calmer night. Around 45,000 police officers were deployed across the country for a second consecutive night.

The hope is that the security crackdown and the public’s disapproval of the violence will lead to a turning point and a decline in rioting. However, it is yet to be confirmed if this trend will continue. Clashes between police and rioters were reported in Marseille, with tear gas being used by the police. In Paris, a significant police presence deterred protesters from gathering on the Champs-Élysées.

The mayor of L’Haÿ-les-Roses denounced the attack on his home as a “murder attempt of unspeakable cowardice.” In other cities such as Lille, Lyon, Nice, and Strasbourg, clashes and vehicle fires were reported. The incident involving Nahel has reignited discussions about French policing, including a controversial firearms law from 2017 that allows officers to shoot at drivers who refuse to stop.

The issue of racism within the police force has also been raised, with the UN’s human rights office urging France to address this concern. President Emmanuel Macron strongly condemned the violence and criticized the exploitation of Nahel’s death to justify acts of violence.

Picture Courtesy: Google/images are subject to copyright