featured News Trending

Pope Leo XIV will travel to France from September 25 to 28, with a key stop planned at the headquarters of UNESCO in Paris. The visit comes as UNESCO faces financial pressure following the decision by U.S. President Donald Trump to withdraw the United States from the agency, resulting in a significant budget shortfall.

The Vatican said the pope is also expected to visit the famous Notre-Dame Cathedral, which reopened in 2024 after restoration work following the devastating 2019 fire. Pope Leo may also meet French President Emmanuel Macron and could address the French parliament during the trip. The detailed itinerary will be announced later.

The France visit will be Pope Leo’s fourth international trip of the year and comes amid growing global attention on his leadership style and political comments, including criticism of the Iran conflict that reportedly angered Trump. The pope, formerly Cardinal Robert Prevost, is the first American-born pope and also has French ancestry through immigrant roots in the United States.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A French judge has been appointed to lead an investigation into the 2018 killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi after a Paris appeals court ruled complaints filed by human rights organizations admissible. France’s national anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office said the inquiry will focus on allegations including torture and enforced disappearance.

The case was brought forward by TRIAL International and Reporters Without Borders, while a separate complaint by DAWN was ruled inadmissible. Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in October 2018 by Saudi agents in an operation that U.S. intelligence believed was linked to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The new French inquiry opens another legal front in a case that has seen limited international judicial action in recent years. A Turkish court transferred its trial involving Saudi suspects to Saudi Arabia in 2022, while a U.S. court dismissed a civil lawsuit after the Biden administration granted immunity to bin Salman following his appointment as prime minister. Under French law, prosecutions for crimes committed abroad generally require suspects to be present in France.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Poland has demanded explanations from Hungary and the United States after former Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro, wanted on abuse of power charges, reportedly travelled from Hungary to the US despite having his passport revoked. Polish officials said they want to know what legal documents allowed Ziobro to leave Hungary and enter the United States while facing criminal charges in Poland.

Ziobro and his former deputy Marcin Romanowski had earlier been granted asylum in Hungary under Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s government. Warsaw had hoped political changes in Hungary following recent elections could pave the way for their return to Poland for trial. Romanowski’s current whereabouts remain unknown, while Ziobro confirmed in an interview that he is now in the United States and will work as a political commentator for a Polish broadcaster supportive of the nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party.

The former minister is accused of misusing funds intended for crime victims for political purposes and faces 26 charges linked to abuse of power. Ziobro was also a key architect of judicial reforms introduced during the PiS government between 2015 and 2023, reforms that drew criticism from the European Union over concerns about weakening judicial independence in Poland.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A record 753 candidates have entered Cyprus’s parliamentary election race for 56 seats in the House of Representatives ahead of the May 24 vote, raising concerns about one of the most fragmented legislatures in the country’s history. More than 15 political parties and independent candidates are contesting the election, which is expected to signal political trends ahead of the 2028 presidential election. Cyprus currently has seven parties represented in parliament.

Opinion polls suggest declining support for the three parties backing President Nikos Christodoulides — DIKO, DIPA, and EDEK — while the far-right ELAM party is projected to make significant gains. New political movement ALMA, led by former auditor-general Odysseas Michaelides, is also expected to secure between 8% and 10% of the vote. Michaelides gained prominence for exposing flaws in Cyprus’s controversial “passports-for-cash” citizenship scheme, which was shut down in 2020 after international criticism.

Political analysts say corruption and public dissatisfaction with the political establishment are shaping voter sentiment. Analyst Fiona Mullen noted that many voters view the system as favouring insiders, driving a potential protest vote. The rise of ELAM also reflects a broader trend of growing far-right support seen across several European countries in recent years.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Two merchant ships near Italy rescued 32 migrants and recovered the bodies of two others after a boat attempting to cross from Libya toward Europe capsized over the Easter weekend, according to rescue charities. Survivors were later transferred to an Italian coast guard vessel and taken to the island of Lampedusa, while authorities had not immediately commented on the incident.

Rescue groups Mediterranea Saving Humans and Sea-Watch said survivors reported that the vessel had initially carried 105 people, with 71 believed lost at sea. Video footage released by Sea-Watch showed migrants clinging to an overturned orange boat as rescuers approached to assist them.

Harsh weather conditions in the Mediterranean this year have complicated migration crossings, reducing departures from North Africa but increasing risks for those who attempt the journey. The International Organization for Migration estimates at least 683 people have died along the central Mediterranean route so far this year, making it one of the deadliest migration corridors globally.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Storm Leonardo battered Spain and Portugal with torrential rain on Thursday, triggering widespread flooding, fresh evacuation orders and multiple casualties. A man was killed in southern Portugal after his car was swept away by floodwaters, while Spanish rescue teams continued searching for a woman who was dragged into a river as she tried to save her dog, authorities said.

The storm is the latest in a series of severe winter systems to hit the Iberian Peninsula since the start of 2026, causing deaths, property damage and major disruptions. Scientists say flooding across Europe is becoming more frequent as climate change warms the atmosphere, allowing it to hold more moisture. In Spain’s Andalusia region, the mountain village of Grazalema recorded as much rainfall in just 16 hours as Madrid typically sees in an entire year.

Authorities evacuated Grazalema’s roughly 1,500 residents as water flooded homes and surged through steep streets, while two nearby reservoirs were close to overflowing. In Portugal’s Alcacer do Sal, residents waded through waist-deep water after the Sado River burst its banks, submerging shops and restaurants. With another storm expected over the weekend, officials warned that conditions could worsen across the region.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Telegram founder Pavel Durov has criticised proposed social media restrictions in Spain, saying they amount to censorship and excessive state control. In a message to Telegram users, Durov warned that plans by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to restrict access for under-16s and tighten hate speech laws would force platforms to collect user data and remove content to avoid prosecution.

Durov said the proposed legislation, which would criminalise algorithms seen as amplifying harmful content, could allow governments to control what users see online. Calling the measures a step “toward total control,” he accused authorities of using safety concerns as a pretext to silence critics. His remarks echoed criticism from Elon Musk, who has also condemned the Spanish government’s proposals.

Spain’s government defended the plans, arguing they are needed to protect minors and curb misinformation. Sanchez’s office accused Durov of abusing his control over Telegram by sending mass messages to Spanish users and spreading propaganda. The proposals are part of a broader European push to regulate social media, following similar debates in countries such as Britain, France and Greece, and Australia’s recent ban on social media use for children under 16.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A Russian court has sentenced stand-up comedian Artemy Ostanin to nearly six years in prison for inciting hatred after a joke he made about a war veteran sparked public outrage. Ostanin was handed a jail term of five years and nine months along with a fine of 300,000 roubles, a Reuters reporter said, in one of the latest cases targeting speech deemed offensive to the military during Russia’s war in Ukraine.

The conviction stemmed from a March 2025 performance in which Ostanin joked about a war veteran who had lost his legs to a mine and was using a skateboard to get around, as well as referring to a wheelchair in derogatory terms. A video of the performance later went viral on Telegram after being shared by nationalist groups and military bloggers, who accused the comedian of mocking veterans fighting for the country.

Ostanin was also found guilty of offending the feelings of Christians over a separate joke about Jesus, drawing criticism from Orthodox nationalist organisations. After facing mounting backlash, he attempted to flee Russia but was arrested in Belarus and returned to Moscow to stand trial. Speaking in court after the verdict, Ostanin said he did not accept the ruling, calling the punishment excessive.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy has formally protested the release on bail of a Swiss bar owner under investigation over a deadly New Year’s Day fire and has recalled its ambassador to Switzerland, escalating diplomatic tensions between the two countries. Jacques Moretti, co-owner of the Le Constellation bar in the Swiss ski resort of Crans-Montana, was freed on Friday after being detained earlier this month in connection with the blaze that killed dozens of people, including six Italians.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned the decision as “an insult to the memory of the victims and their families,” while the government said it had conveyed its strong indignation to Swiss judicial authorities. Meloni and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani also ordered Italy’s ambassador to return to Rome for consultations, arguing that the court’s decision underestimated the seriousness of the alleged crimes, the risk of flight, and the possibility of evidence being compromised.

Swiss prosecutors confirmed contact with Italian officials but stressed that the release was ordered by an independent court. Moretti was freed under strict conditions, including a 200,000 Swiss franc bail and daily police reporting. Lawyers for victims’ families said they were shocked by the ruling, warning that it added to the pain of those affected by the tragedy, while the Morettis said they would continue to cooperate fully with investigators.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Bulgaria is heading for another snap election after the country’s main political parties refused to form a government, President Rumen Radev said on Friday. His announcement follows the rejection of a final mandate by the Alliance for Rights and Freedoms, clearing the way for the eighth election in just four years.

None of the parties in Bulgaria’s fragmented parliament hold enough seats to secure a stable majority. Earlier this week, both the GERB-SDS bloc and the reformist PP-DB alliance turned down Radev’s request to try to form a governing coalition after the previous administration resigned.

Former Prime Minister Rosen Zhelyazkov’s coalition stepped down last month amid sustained street protests over corruption and proposed tax increases. With all mandates now declined, Radev is expected to appoint a caretaker government and call early elections, as Bulgaria seeks political stability to unlock EU funds, boost investment, and tackle long-standing corruption.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright