News Trending

Matteo Messina Denaro, the most sought Mafia boss in Italy, was apprehended in Sicily after 30 years on the lam. According to reports, Messina Denaro was detained while undergoing cancer treatment in Palermo, the capital of Sicily.

He was prosecuted and given a life sentence in prison in absentia in 2002 for a number of killings; he is suspected of being a boss of the infamous Cosa Nostra Mafia. His arrest was carried out with the assistance of more than 100 military personnel.

According to Italian media, the Carabinieri apprehended Messina Denaro soon before 10:00 (09:00 GMT) and took him to a hidden location. According to reports, he went to the clinic under a false identity to receive chemotherapy.

A video circulated by Italian media appears to show people standing in the street and applauding the Italian police as Messina Denaro is led away.

Messina Denaro allegedly bragged that his victims could “fill a cemetery.” The formidable Cosa Nostra organised crime syndicate’s mafia boss also handled racketeering, illicit garbage disposal, money-laundering, and drug trafficking.

According to rumours, he was Tot Riina’s protege. Tot Riina was the boss of the Corleone family and was apprehended in 1993 after 23 years on the lam. Clans dubbed Messina Denaro “U Siccu” and “Diabolik,” both of which refer to elusive thieves in comic books (Skinny).

He is regarded as the final “secret-keeper” of the Cosa Nostra. He is thought to be the source of all information and the identities of people connected to numerous of the Mafia’s most notorious crimes, including the bombings that killed magistrates Falcone and Borsellino.

Picture Courtesy: google/images are subject to copyright

News Trending

After spending a week at sea, migrants from one of four rescue boats that Italy had barred from docking have been let to disembark, according to the charity that runs the vessel. On the Rise Above, 89 persons in total were permitted to set foot on land.

However, although Rome promises to stop irregular migrants from crossing the Mediterranean, individuals are still on three additional rescue boats. Giorgia Meloni, the prime minister, has stated that she wants to prohibit human traffickers from “deciding who enters Italy.” Her right-wing administration has come under fire for refusing the rescue boats safe harbour.

But Chiara Cardoletti, the UN refugee commissioner’s representative in Italy, said that Italy had been on the front line of the migrant crisis for too long and she called on the European Union to find a common strategy.

“We appreciate what Italy has done by allowing boats to enter territorial waters, allowing children, women and people with medical problems to disembark,” she told the BBC. “Italy cannot be left alone, the European Union must step forward and find appropriate and faster solutions.”

On Monday, three people leapt into the water from the Geo Barents after being refused permission to disembark in the Sicilian port of Catania. They were among about 250 migrants told to remain on two boats in Catania after officials deemed them “healthy”.

The Rise Above is operated by the German nonprofit Mission Lifeline, which released a statement in which it expressed its “relief that the rescued persons are finally safe on land” at Reggio Calabria, on the Italian mainland, a short distance from Sicily. 89 people disembarked, with several of them being characterised as minors.

Authorities claimed to the Italian media that they were let to go because, in contrast to the two boats parked in Sicily, they had been picked up in a’save and rescue’ (SAR) incident in the Mediterranean.

The nonprofit organisation denounced the “undignified political game” that had left them adrift. Italian reports claim that the Rise Above’s crew has not yet been able to disembark.

Picture Courtesy: Google/images are subject to copyright