featured News Trending

Italy’s cabinet has approved a bill allowing naval blockades to stop migrant boats during periods of “exceptional pressure” at its borders. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, in office since 2022, has already introduced measures to accelerate repatriation of failed asylum seekers and impose stricter penalties on human smugglers, aiming to reduce sea crossings.

Under the draft legislation, the government could ban vessels from entering Italian waters for up to six months in cases of serious threats to public order or national security. Fines of up to €50,000 and potential confiscation of boats would target repeated violations, including charity-operated rescue ships. Meloni’s coalition argues that such rescue operations encourage migrants to attempt perilous sea journeys.

The bill has faced criticism from the center-left opposition, who call the approach repressive and ineffective. The move aligns with recent EU asylum rule changes allowing member states to reject applications from migrants who could have sought protection in a “safe” EU country, reflecting broader European efforts to tighten immigration controls.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italian police arrested six people after clashes erupted between security forces and protesters in Milan during demonstrations against the Winter Olympic Games. Thousands gathered in the city on Saturday to oppose the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics and protest rising living costs. While most marched peacefully, some demonstrators threw stones and fireworks at police, prompting officers to respond with water cannon. The unrest followed a violent protest in Turin last week in which more than 100 police officers were injured.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned the protests, calling those opposing the Olympics “the enemy of Italy” and accusing them of damaging the country’s global image. Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini labelled the rioters “criminals” and defended a newly adopted security package that allows police to detain suspected troublemakers for up to 12 hours before demonstrations. The measures were fast-tracked after last week’s Turin clashes, though critics have described them as repressive.

Authorities are also investigating suspected sabotage on northern Italy’s rail network, which caused major travel disruptions on Saturday. Fires, severed cables and a rudimentary explosive device were discovered near key rail hubs including Bologna and Pesaro, delaying trains for hours. The transport ministry described the incidents as acts of sabotage, while rail operator RFI said services have since returned to normal as the Winter Olympics continue across multiple venues until 22 February.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy’s government has approved a new law-and-order decree allowing police to temporarily detain suspected troublemakers ahead of street protests, following violent clashes at a rally in Turin. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s right-wing administration said the move aims to prevent unrest after more than 100 police officers were injured and nearly 30 protesters arrested during demonstrations over the weekend.

The decree was adopted as Italy prepares for heightened security surrounding the Milano Cortina Winter Olympics, which open on February 6. Under the new rules, police will be able to hold individuals deemed a risk to public order for up to 12 hours to keep them away from rallies. Meloni said the measures strengthen tools to prevent and combat widespread crime.

The legislation also targets pickpocketing and youth gangs, bans knife sales to minors, and expands self-defence protections for police and civilians. Opposition lawmakers criticised the decree as repressive, warning that preventive detentions undermine the constitutional right to protest. Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi defended the measures, saying similar powers exist in other European countries.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A restored fresco at Rome’s Basilica of St Lawrence in Lucina has sparked controversy after the face of an angel was found to resemble Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni. The artist, Bruno Valentinetti, initially denied the claims but later admitted the likeness, stating it was similar to the original. Vatican authorities reportedly ordered the face to be scrubbed out, and church officials have confirmed it will be properly restored.

The fresco, painted in 2000 and not heritage-protected, is located in a chapel dedicated to Italy’s last king, Umberto II. The cherub in the fresco holds a map of Italy, and the altered image drew a stream of visitors eager to see the controversial work. Rome’s Cardinal Baldassare Reina criticized the incident, emphasizing that sacred art should not be misused or exploited.

The restoration has prompted stricter oversight, with the government agency managing Rome’s cultural sites requiring prior authorization and sketches for any future restoration work. Prime Minister Meloni herself reacted lightly on social media, joking that she was “definitely not like an angel.”

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy has successfully blocked cyber-attacks of Russian origin targeting websites linked to the Winter Olympics, hotels in host town Cortina d’Ampezzo, and foreign ministry facilities, including an embassy in Washington. Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani confirmed the attacks were prevented before the Games officially begin on Friday.

Cortina d’Ampezzo, one of five Olympic host clusters, will stage alpine skiing, biathlon, curling, and sliding events. The attacks were aimed at disrupting digital operations surrounding the Games, but Italy’s cybersecurity measures ensured no critical systems were compromised.

Meanwhile, debates continue over the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes in international competitions. Although both nations remain excluded from the Olympics, 13 Russian and seven Belarusian competitors have been cleared to compete as neutrals, amid discussions on potential reinstatement for future Games, including the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Ministers from six major European economies, including Germany, France, Poland, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands, pledged to take the lead in advancing projects stalled by the EU’s slow decision-making processes. The virtual meeting followed criticism from the Trump administration over the EU’s lengthy deliberations, with leaders emphasizing the need to strengthen Europe’s competitiveness and defense capabilities amid geopolitical uncertainty. German Finance Minister Lars Klingbeil described the group as a flexible coalition, open to additional countries joining in the future.

While no concrete decisions were made, the ministers agreed to focus on key areas such as creating a capital markets union, enhancing the international role of the euro, coordinating defense investments, and securing critical minerals through joint purchasing and trade partnerships. The discussions underscored the growing emphasis on European sovereignty in light of global challenges from the U.S., Russia, and China. Officials stressed that the initiative would allow faster progress on crucial projects without requiring unanimous agreement from all 27 EU members.

The move reflects a broader push within Europe to adopt a “two-speed” approach, enabling smaller groups of countries to act independently on policy areas where consensus is difficult. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and French leaders have long advocated for this strategy to accelerate economic and strategic initiatives, including trade deals and energy policies. Polish Finance Minister Andrzej Domański noted that Europe must act faster to respond to ongoing economic and geopolitical changes, signaling a shift toward more agile and pragmatic decision-making within the EU.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy will press its European Union partners this week to designate Iran’s Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) as a terrorist organisation, marking a significant shift in Rome’s stance, Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said. Italy had previously resisted such a move, but Tajani said Iran’s violent crackdown on recent street protests, which reportedly left thousands dead, demanded a firm response. He said the issue would be raised at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Brussels.

Tajani said the civilian toll from the protests required decisive action, proposing both the inclusion of the IRGC on the EU’s terrorist list and targeted sanctions against those responsible for what he described as “heinous acts.” A terrorist designation would impose far-reaching legal, financial and diplomatic restrictions on the powerful force, which was established after Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution and plays a central role in the country’s military, economy, and missile and nuclear programmes.

The proposal could strain EU–Iran relations, as some member states fear such a step could sever diplomatic ties, undermine efforts to revive nuclear negotiations and complicate the release of EU nationals held in Iran. While the IRGC is already subject to EU human rights sanctions, listing it as a terrorist group would require unanimity among member states, and objections from countries such as France could block the move. Tajani said Italy’s top priority remained the safety of its citizens, adding that staff at Italy’s embassy in Tehran would be sharply reduced.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

The Italian ski resort of Courmayeur has prohibited sparklers and other open flames in enclosed spaces following a deadly New Year’s Eve fire in Switzerland’s Crans-Montana that killed 40 people, including six Italians. Authorities believe the blaze was caused by “fountain candle” sparklers coming too close to the ceiling.

Courmayeur’s town hall announced that the ban applies to all enclosed public venues, while local authorities have stepped up inspections of nightclubs and other public spaces for safety compliance, including fire exits and capacity limits. Several clubs in Rome have already been shut down this month following similar checks.

Mayor Roberto Rota described the ban as “necessary and urgent” given the frequent use of open flames during celebrations, and some officials, including Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, are considering a nationwide indoor sparkler ban. Ski enthusiasts and residents have largely supported the measure as a proactive safety step.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italian finance police have searched the headquarters of the country’s data protection authority as part of a probe into alleged corruption and embezzlement, according to judicial sources. Rome prosecutors are investigating the agency’s president, Pasquale Stanzione, along with three other board members, over claims of excessive spending and irregularities linked to regulatory decisions.

Stanzione said he was “absolutely serene” when questioned by reporters, but declined to say whether he would resign. The opposition 5-Star Movement said the investigation had damaged the credibility of the authority and called for Stanzione to step down, intensifying political pressure on the watchdog’s leadership.

The Italian data protection authority, known as the Garante, is one of the European Union’s most active enforcers of digital privacy rules and has frequently taken action against major technology companies. In recent years, it has fined and briefly banned OpenAI’s ChatGPT, blocked China’s DeepSeek chatbot over privacy concerns, and last week warned AI platforms, including Elon Musk’s Grok, about the risks of generating deepfake images without user consent.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Rome has implemented a new 30 kph (19 mph) speed limit throughout its historic centre, joining other European capitals like London, Paris, and Brussels in efforts to make city streets safer. The reduced limit, nearly half of the previous 50 kph cap, aims to lower accidents and reduce pollution in areas crowded with cars, residents, and tourists. Authorities plan a gradual enforcement period of 30 days to help drivers adjust.

City transport chief Eugenio Patane emphasized that lower speeds save lives, noting that speeding contributes to 7.5% of road accidents in Rome. Similar initiatives in Bologna have shown promising results, with road accidents dropping 13% and fatalities falling by nearly 50% after introducing a 30 kph limit. Mayor Roberto Gualtieri has also expanded the number of speed cameras and encouraged alternatives to private cars to further improve safety and air quality.

Reactions among residents and drivers are mixed. Some, like scooter rider Barbara Barattolo, welcomed the change as a measure to reduce risks on busy streets. Others, including taxi driver Cristiano, criticized the limit as excessively low in certain areas. Authorities estimate the new regulation will cut noise levels in the city centre by around 2 decibels, addressing long-standing complaints about congestion and pollution.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright