featured News Trending

Women staying in makeshift camps in Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta say they are facing sexual harassment and fear of assault while waiting to be registered by authorities. More than a dozen women are sleeping outdoors near an overcrowded migrant reception centre, which is currently sheltering around 700 people despite having capacity for about 500.

Spain’s largest police union, SUP, said 15 sexual assault cases of varying severity had been reported since July 30, although authorities have not confirmed the figure. Ceuta court authorities have confirmed three cases involving migrant women, including two minors. Health Minister Monica Garcia said medical services had treated five women for sexual violence and stressed that providing safe accommodation was an urgent priority.

Human rights organisations including Save the Children, UNICEF and Amnesty International have called for urgent measures to protect vulnerable migrant women and girls. Authorities are expanding temporary reception facilities and distributing food and hygiene supplies, but women living in the makeshift camps say they remain afraid, lack privacy and struggle to access safe toilets and showers.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Spanish authorities have deployed additional police and forensic experts to identify the 80 migrants who died following last week’s mass crossing into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta from Morocco. Most of the victims will be buried in Ceuta in the coming days, while fingerprints and DNA samples are being collected to help identify those who remain unnamed.

The unprecedented influx overwhelmed Ceuta’s forensic services, prompting authorities to establish a larger temporary morgue and bring in additional staff. Officials have also opened a border office where families can report missing relatives and provide DNA samples, as many continue searching for loved ones who disappeared during the crossing.

According to officials, many of the victims died from drowning-related cardiopulmonary arrest. Only a handful of bodies have been identified so far, with further DNA testing underway. Authorities said burials will follow Muslim funeral practices, while identified victims may later be repatriated to their home countries if requested by their families.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta is seeking the transfer of more than 1,000 unaccompanied migrant minors to mainland Spain following last week’s massive migrant influx. While most of the 72,000 migrants who crossed into Ceuta have returned to Morocco, the remaining children cannot be immediately deported and are being housed in overcrowded shelters, warehouses, or temporary accommodation.

The local government says reception centres have exceeded capacity, prompting charities and residents to provide food, blankets, and shelter to vulnerable children and pregnant women. Under Spain’s immigration law, unaccompanied minors from overstretched regions must be relocated within 15 days after their cases are processed, though political disagreements could delay the transfers.

The Spanish government has approved €25 million in emergency funding for Ceuta and urged regional authorities to share responsibility for caring for the minors. However, several regional governments have opposed mandatory relocations, setting the stage for a political dispute as authorities work to identify and protect the children.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

French coastguards rescued 157 migrants after a small boat caught fire in the English Channel near the port of Boulogne-sur-Mer. Three coastguard vessels responded to the emergency, safely bringing everyone on board to shore, according to French authorities.

The incident comes just days after three people died attempting the same crossing, highlighting the growing dangers faced by migrants using overcrowded boats to travel from France to the United Kingdom. Human traffickers are increasingly packing more people into fragile vessels, raising the risk of fatal accidents.

The English Channel remains one of the world’s busiest shipping routes, with strong currents making crossings especially hazardous. The latest rescue has renewed calls from both French and British authorities to curb dangerous small-boat crossings and combat human trafficking networks.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta is struggling to cope after a massive migrant surge last week, with local authorities estimating that between 3,000 and 5,000 people remain in the territory. Hundreds of migrants have set up makeshift camps on local beaches, while reception centres for adults and minors have exceeded capacity. Spain says around 69,500 migrants have already been returned to Morocco in recent days.

The crisis has placed particular pressure on services for children, with more than 860 migrant minors currently under protection in Ceuta. Many migrants said they remained in the enclave after facing food shortages, closed shops, hostility from locals, and being unable to continue their journey to mainland Spain. The official death toll stands at 72 on the Spanish side and 11 on the Moroccan side.

The border crisis has also triggered diplomatic tensions within the European Union and renewed debate over migration policy. Spain praised Morocco for cooperating in the return of thousands of migrants but also called for stronger support from EU partners. Meanwhile, questions are being raised over whether Spanish intelligence services had sufficient warning before the mass crossing occurred.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta is facing a humanitarian and security emergency after around 1,500 migrants reached the territory by swimming from Morocco over the past week. Local leader Juan Jesus Vivas said the sudden influx has overwhelmed reception facilities, with hundreds of migrants forced to sleep outdoors and shelters for unaccompanied minors operating far beyond capacity.

Vivas described the situation as a national emergency and called for an immediate, coordinated response from the Spanish government. In response, Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska is set to visit Ceuta to meet local authorities as the government works to strengthen border controls and expand humanitarian assistance. Moroccan security forces are also helping to reduce further arrivals.

Officials said migrant arrivals are averaging about 300 people per day, raising concerns of a repeat of the 2021 migration crisis, when nearly 10,000 people entered Ceuta within days. Vivas also highlighted the human cost of the dangerous sea crossings, noting that dozens of bodies have been recovered in recent months, and urged reforms to Spain’s immigration laws following a recent Supreme Court ruling on migrant returns.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Non-governmental organisations across Spain are making a final push to help undocumented migrants apply for a special mass regularisation programme before the June 30 deadline. The initiative offers eligible migrants a one-year residence permit, and applications have far exceeded expectations, with around 1.27 million submissions compared to the government’s initial estimate of 500,000.

Aid groups such as CEAR and Cepaim are encouraging migrants to file their applications even if they are still waiting for documents from their home countries. Under the process, applicants may be allowed to submit missing paperwork later, giving many a chance to remain eligible. However, migrants from countries including Iran, Mali, Venezuela, Algeria and Nigeria have faced significant delays in securing the required documents, raising concerns that many applications could be rejected.

The Spanish government has indicated it does not plan to extend the application deadline despite growing appeals from NGOs. Rights groups warn that as many as 20% of applications could fail due to incomplete documentation and administrative hurdles. They are also calling for long-term reforms to simplify the legalisation process and reduce the time migrants spend living without legal status in Spain.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

More than 1,300 migrants have died while attempting to reach Spain’s coastline during the first five months of 2026, according to advocacy group Caminando Fronteras (Walking Borders). The report recorded 1,317 deaths, including 142 women and 129 children, and noted that 27 migrant boats disappeared entirely with everyone on board.

The findings were released ahead of Pope Leo’s visit to Spain’s Canary Islands, a key destination for migrants crossing from Africa. During his visit, the Pope highlighted the humanitarian crisis facing migrants and called attention to the ethical responsibilities of the international community.

Rights organizations say tighter border controls in countries such as Mauritania are pushing migrants toward longer and more dangerous Atlantic routes. In 2025, more than 3,000 people were reported dead or missing while attempting to reach Spain, underscoring the continuing risks faced by those seeking entry into Europe.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

The European Union has reached a political agreement on new migration rules that would allow member states to send rejected asylum seekers and visa overstayers to “return hubs” located outside the EU. The proposal, aimed at improving deportation enforcement, comes as European governments face growing political pressure to curb irregular migration despite a decline in arrivals over the past year.

Under the new framework, authorities would gain expanded powers, including longer detention periods, the collection of biometric data, searches of premises, and penalties for migrants who do not cooperate with deportation procedures. EU officials argue the measures are necessary because only a small percentage of people ordered to leave the bloc currently do so.

Human rights organizations and opposition lawmakers have strongly criticized the plan, warning it could lead to abuses and undermine migrant rights. Critics say the rules resemble aggressive immigration enforcement practices seen elsewhere and could increase detentions, home searches, and transfers to third countries with limited safeguards. The legislation still requires formal approval from EU governments and the European Parliament.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Pope Leo XIV will travel to Spain from June 6–12, marking his first visit to a European Union country outside Italy since becoming pontiff. As part of the trip, he will visit the Canary Islands—a major entry point for migrants crossing dangerous Atlantic routes to Europe.

During his time on Tenerife and Gran Canaria, the pope is expected to meet migrants and humanitarian organizations supporting them. The visit comes amid growing concern over migration, with thousands losing their lives attempting the journey, and as Spain rolls out a mass amnesty program for undocumented immigrants under Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez.

The tour will also include stops in Madrid and Barcelona, where the pope will meet King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia, and inaugurate a new tower of the iconic Sagrada Familia. The visit highlights his increasingly vocal stance on global issues, particularly migration and humanitarian concerns.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright