featured News Trending

French authorities have detained nine people, including two officials from the Louvre Museum, in connection with an alleged ticket fraud that may have cost the Paris landmark up to 10 million euros ($11.8 million) in lost revenue. The Paris prosecutor’s office said those in custody also include several tour guides and the suspected organiser of the network. Investigators seized nearly 1 million euros in cash and about 500,000 euros held in bank accounts.

The probe began in December 2024 after the museum flagged suspicious activity involving guides who allegedly reused single-entry tickets to admit multiple groups of tourists. Following more than a year of investigation, police uncovered what they described as a long-running network that may have fraudulently ushered in as many as 20 tour groups per day over a decade, allegedly bribing museum staff to overlook the scheme. Authorities believe proceeds were invested in real estate in France and Dubai.

Prosecutors added that similar fraudulent practices may have occurred at the Palace of Versailles, though details were limited. The case adds to recent challenges faced by the Louvre, including security and infrastructure setbacks. Museum officials said they are strengthening anti-fraud measures as part of broader efforts to protect revenues, particularly after raising ticket prices last month for most non-EU visitors to support renovation plans.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

The Louvre Museum has said the crown of French Empress Eugénie was left badly crushed but largely intact after it was dropped by thieves during a high-profile jewellery raid last October. Although raiders stole jewels worth an estimated €88 million, they abandoned the diamond-studded crown on their escape route. The museum has now released the first images of the damaged crown, confirming it can be fully restored.

According to the Louvre, the 19th-century gold crown was deformed when thieves attempted to pull it through a narrow hole cut into its glass display case. While one of the eight golden eagles adorning the crown is missing, it still holds all 56 emeralds and all but 10 of its 1,354 diamonds. Museum officials said restoration can be carried out without reconstructing the piece, under the supervision of an expert committee led by Louvre president Laurence des Cars.

The raid took place on 19 October, when thieves used a stolen vehicle-mounted lift to access the Galerie d’Apollon from a balcony near the River Seine. After cutting through a window and threatening guards, the gang broke into two jewellery cases and escaped within four minutes on scooters. Four suspects have been arrested, though authorities say the mastermind remains at large and several other stolen royal jewels have yet to be recovered.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Paris’ Louvre Museum reopened on Monday after a three-hour delay, though several sections remained closed as staff partially resumed a strike over pay and working conditions, according to Reuters. Employees had held a meeting earlier in the day to decide whether to continue rolling industrial action, which began last month and was paused during the Christmas period.

The labour dispute has added to the challenges facing the world’s most visited museum, which is still reeling from a major jewel heist in October. In that incident, four burglars stole jewels worth about $102 million in broad daylight, and the stolen items have yet to be recovered.

The Louvre has also been grappling with infrastructure issues, including a recent water leak that damaged ancient books and raised concerns about the deteriorating condition of the historic building. Together, the strike, security lapse, and maintenance problems have put renewed pressure on museum management and French authorities.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

The Louvre museum in Paris has installed security bars on the balcony used by burglars in the October 19 heist that saw jewels worth an estimated $102 million stolen. The break-in, which lasted less than seven minutes, involved the thieves using a movers’ lift to access the Apollo gallery balcony, smashing a window, and escaping on scooters, highlighting serious gaps in the museum’s security.

The museum has stated that it is learning from the incident and is upgrading its security infrastructure. A crane was used to place the security grille on the balcony door, while additional measures include a mobile police squad stationed near the glass pyramid and plans to deploy 100 more cameras around the museum next year. Authorities have identified eight suspects, though the stolen jewels remain missing.

The heist exposed broader security and structural issues at the Louvre, including inadequate camera coverage of exterior walls and the balcony, alongside other challenges such as gallery closures, water damage to antiquities, and recent staff strikes. Officials emphasized that these improvements are part of a wider effort to transform and strengthen the museum’s security architecture to protect its priceless collections.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

France’s Louvre Museum was closed on Monday after employees began a rolling strike over pay, staffing shortages, and deteriorating working conditions, disrupting access to the world’s most-visited museum during a peak tourist period. The walkout comes just two months after a high-profile jewel heist and follows recent infrastructure issues, including a water leak that damaged ancient books. The Louvre, which usually welcomes around 30,000 visitors a day, will remain shut until at least Wednesday due to its regular Tuesday closure.

The strike was called by several unions, including CFDT, CGT, and Sud, which say staff are facing rising workloads, insufficient permanent employees, and unclear instructions that make it difficult to perform their duties. About 400 of the museum’s 2,200 workers supported the action. Unions are demanding urgent renovations, better working conditions, and more permanent hires, especially in security and visitor services, while also opposing a planned 45% ticket price hike for non-EU tourists intended to help fund refurbishment work.

Tourists arriving early on Monday were left disappointed after discovering the museum was closed. While many expressed frustration, some visitors voiced understanding of the workers’ concerns. Union representatives said the aim was not to penalise visitors but to ensure the Louvre remains safe and properly maintained, warning that long-standing neglect by management has pushed staff to take action.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

A water leak in November at the Louvre Museum has damaged hundreds of rare books stored within its Egyptian antiquities department, drawing attention to longstanding maintenance issues at the world’s most visited museum. The incident comes soon after a high-profile jewel robbery exposed major security lapses at the institution. According to specialist website La Tribune de l’Art, the leak was caused by deteriorating pipes, an issue the department has unsuccessfully sought funding to fix.

Francis Steinbock, the museum’s deputy administrator, confirmed that the leak affected one of the department’s three library rooms, with 300 to 400 works impacted so far. He clarified that while the damaged books are regularly used by Egyptologists, none of the items are considered “precious books” of irreplaceable value. Steinbock also acknowledged that the plumbing problem had been known for years, adding that necessary repair work is not scheduled until September 2026.

The leak adds to a series of infrastructure and security concerns plaguing the iconic museum. In October, four thieves stole $102 million worth of jewels in broad daylight from a Louvre exhibit, followed by the partial closure of a gallery showcasing Greek vases due to structural weaknesses in November. A report by France’s public audit authority, the Cour des Comptes, criticized the museum for failing to modernise its aging facilities, noting that heavy spending on art acquisitions has hindered essential maintenance work.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

France’s Louvre Museum has closed its Campana Gallery after a structural assessment revealed severe weaknesses in beams supporting the Sully wing. The gallery, which showcases Greek vases and includes office spaces, dates back to the 1930s and was shut less than a month after a high-profile daylight heist exposed security vulnerabilities at the world-famous museum.

According to the Louvre, the technical report made it necessary to immediately close the first-floor gallery and relocate 65 staff members working above it. Union representatives said employees had long raised concerns over the ageing building, but were surprised by the extent of deterioration now confirmed.

The closure comes as the museum faces scrutiny over its management practices. A recent auditor’s report criticised the prioritisation of art acquisitions and post-pandemic projects over infrastructure and security upgrades. The investigation into last month’s $102 million jewel theft—carried out using a lift, broken windows, and motorbike escape—remains ongoing. The Louvre, originally a royal palace built in the 12th century, continues to grapple with balancing heritage preservation and modern safety demands.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright