featured News Trending

Italy’s cabinet has approved a bill allowing naval blockades to stop migrant boats during periods of “exceptional pressure” at its borders. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, in office since 2022, has already introduced measures to accelerate repatriation of failed asylum seekers and impose stricter penalties on human smugglers, aiming to reduce sea crossings.

Under the draft legislation, the government could ban vessels from entering Italian waters for up to six months in cases of serious threats to public order or national security. Fines of up to €50,000 and potential confiscation of boats would target repeated violations, including charity-operated rescue ships. Meloni’s coalition argues that such rescue operations encourage migrants to attempt perilous sea journeys.

The bill has faced criticism from the center-left opposition, who call the approach repressive and ineffective. The move aligns with recent EU asylum rule changes allowing member states to reject applications from migrants who could have sought protection in a “safe” EU country, reflecting broader European efforts to tighten immigration controls.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italian police arrested six people after clashes erupted between security forces and protesters in Milan during demonstrations against the Winter Olympic Games. Thousands gathered in the city on Saturday to oppose the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics and protest rising living costs. While most marched peacefully, some demonstrators threw stones and fireworks at police, prompting officers to respond with water cannon. The unrest followed a violent protest in Turin last week in which more than 100 police officers were injured.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned the protests, calling those opposing the Olympics “the enemy of Italy” and accusing them of damaging the country’s global image. Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini labelled the rioters “criminals” and defended a newly adopted security package that allows police to detain suspected troublemakers for up to 12 hours before demonstrations. The measures were fast-tracked after last week’s Turin clashes, though critics have described them as repressive.

Authorities are also investigating suspected sabotage on northern Italy’s rail network, which caused major travel disruptions on Saturday. Fires, severed cables and a rudimentary explosive device were discovered near key rail hubs including Bologna and Pesaro, delaying trains for hours. The transport ministry described the incidents as acts of sabotage, while rail operator RFI said services have since returned to normal as the Winter Olympics continue across multiple venues until 22 February.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy’s government has approved a new law-and-order decree allowing police to temporarily detain suspected troublemakers ahead of street protests, following violent clashes at a rally in Turin. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s right-wing administration said the move aims to prevent unrest after more than 100 police officers were injured and nearly 30 protesters arrested during demonstrations over the weekend.

The decree was adopted as Italy prepares for heightened security surrounding the Milano Cortina Winter Olympics, which open on February 6. Under the new rules, police will be able to hold individuals deemed a risk to public order for up to 12 hours to keep them away from rallies. Meloni said the measures strengthen tools to prevent and combat widespread crime.

The legislation also targets pickpocketing and youth gangs, bans knife sales to minors, and expands self-defence protections for police and civilians. Opposition lawmakers criticised the decree as repressive, warning that preventive detentions undermine the constitutional right to protest. Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi defended the measures, saying similar powers exist in other European countries.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A restored fresco at Rome’s Basilica of St Lawrence in Lucina has sparked controversy after the face of an angel was found to resemble Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni. The artist, Bruno Valentinetti, initially denied the claims but later admitted the likeness, stating it was similar to the original. Vatican authorities reportedly ordered the face to be scrubbed out, and church officials have confirmed it will be properly restored.

The fresco, painted in 2000 and not heritage-protected, is located in a chapel dedicated to Italy’s last king, Umberto II. The cherub in the fresco holds a map of Italy, and the altered image drew a stream of visitors eager to see the controversial work. Rome’s Cardinal Baldassare Reina criticized the incident, emphasizing that sacred art should not be misused or exploited.

The restoration has prompted stricter oversight, with the government agency managing Rome’s cultural sites requiring prior authorization and sketches for any future restoration work. Prime Minister Meloni herself reacted lightly on social media, joking that she was “definitely not like an angel.”

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy has formally protested the release on bail of a Swiss bar owner under investigation over a deadly New Year’s Day fire and has recalled its ambassador to Switzerland, escalating diplomatic tensions between the two countries. Jacques Moretti, co-owner of the Le Constellation bar in the Swiss ski resort of Crans-Montana, was freed on Friday after being detained earlier this month in connection with the blaze that killed dozens of people, including six Italians.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned the decision as “an insult to the memory of the victims and their families,” while the government said it had conveyed its strong indignation to Swiss judicial authorities. Meloni and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani also ordered Italy’s ambassador to return to Rome for consultations, arguing that the court’s decision underestimated the seriousness of the alleged crimes, the risk of flight, and the possibility of evidence being compromised.

Swiss prosecutors confirmed contact with Italian officials but stressed that the release was ordered by an independent court. Moretti was freed under strict conditions, including a 200,000 Swiss franc bail and daily police reporting. Lawyers for victims’ families said they were shocked by the ruling, warning that it added to the pain of those affected by the tragedy, while the Morettis said they would continue to cooperate fully with investigators.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called for an end to political violence after four activists from her party’s youth wing, Gioventù Nazionale, were attacked in Rome on the 48th anniversary of the 1978 killings of three neofascist militants in Via Acca Larentia. Witnesses said the activists were assaulted while putting up commemorative posters, and their car windscreen was smashed, though none were seriously hurt.

Meloni described the 1978 deaths as “a painful page in the history of our nation,” referring to a period of terrorism and political hatred in which much innocent blood was shed. She emphasized that political violence, in all its forms, is never justifiable and must never be repeated, urging Italians to choose respect, dialogue, and civil coexistence.

The Via Acca Larentia commemoration has historically drawn far-right participants performing Roman salutes, a practice linked to Meloni’s Brothers of Italy party roots in the neofascist Italian Social Movement (MSI). While her party denies ties to fascism, Meloni has repeatedly condemned those idolizing Italy’s fascist past and stressed that such actions threaten democracy.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Italy’s iconic food culture, from pasta and pizza to regional dishes like risotto and orecchiette, is on the brink of global recognition as UNESCO’s “Intangible Cultural Heritage.” A UNESCO panel has recommended adding Italian cuisine to the prestigious list, with the final decision expected on Wednesday. The bid, launched in 2023 by Italy’s agriculture and culture ministries, highlights food as a social ritual that fosters community bonds, rather than merely a set of recipes.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni supports the move, calling Italian cuisine a symbol of national identity and strength. Industry experts say UNESCO recognition could boost Italy’s tourism by up to 8% within two years and reinforce its global culinary presence. Italian gastronomy not only connects 59 million residents but also up to 85 million people of Italian descent worldwide, despite the challenges posed by imitation products costing Italy billions each year.

However, critics argue the bid is more about marketing than cultural preservation. Food historian Alberto Grandi claims that many “traditional” Italian dishes are influenced by foreign cultures or are relatively modern inventions, sparking backlash from farmers’ groups defending the country’s culinary roots. For chefs and restaurateurs, however, a UNESCO nod would be a cherished tribute. As Michelin-starred chef Massimo Bottura puts it, “Italian cuisine is an ancient, daily, sacred ritual — the art of caring and loving without saying a word.”

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

An Italian court has ruled that the proposed 3,666-metre suspension bridge linking Sicily to mainland Italy violates EU environmental and tender regulations, casting a major setback for Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s flagship infrastructure project. The Court of Auditors said the government failed to justify overriding environmental concerns involving coastal and marine ecosystems in Sicily and Calabria.

The project—debated for over 50 years—has long divided the country, with supporters arguing it would boost the economy and strengthen transport routes, including for NATO forces. Critics, however, warn of environmental risks, high costs, and seismic dangers. The judges also pointed out major discrepancies in project financing, noting that the new estimated cost of €13.5 billion is more than triple the original projection, potentially requiring a fresh tender under EU rules.

Despite the ruling, the government insists it remains committed to the bridge. Infrastructure Minister Matteo Salvini, a key backer, said the concerns can be addressed, while the Eurolink consortium selected to build the bridge expressed confidence in the project’s future. If clarifications fail, the government may attempt to override the objections through a cabinet vote, a move that could ignite further legal battles.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Italy has unanimously approved a landmark law defining femicide—the murder of a woman motivated by gender—as a distinct crime punishable by life imprisonment. The vote took place on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, marking a symbolic moment after years of public pressure. The brutal 2023 killing of 22-year-old Giulia Cecchettin by her ex-boyfriend reignited national outrage and accelerated political action.

The new law, introduced by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, will ensure that gender-motivated killings are officially classified and studied. Judges and experts who helped draft the legislation argue it will expose the deeper roots of such crimes—power, control and societal patriarchy—rather than framing them as acts of jealousy or passion. Italy now joins a small group of EU countries, including Cyprus, Malta, and Croatia, that recognise femicide within their criminal codes.

However, the law has faced criticism from some legal scholars who argue its definitions may be difficult to prove in court, and from activists who warn that legislation alone is not enough. Families of victims, including Giulia’s father, emphasise the need for early emotional education to dismantle stereotypes and prevent future violence. Despite differing opinions, the unanimous vote reflects a rare moment of political unity in Italy as the country confronts the persistent issue of violence against women.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Italy’s recent southern regional election results have cast new uncertainty over Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s path to re-election in 2027. While the national outcome ended in a 3-3 split between the ruling conservative bloc and the centre-left, decisive victories for the opposition in Campania and Puglia signaled a growing challenge to Meloni’s dominance. Political leaders, including former PM Matteo Renzi, say these results prove there is a viable alternative to Meloni’s leadership.

The centre-left now believes a unified national alliance could flip around 20 key Senate seats in the south—seats that are crucial for forming a government under Italy’s mixed electoral system. Analysts warn that if these constituencies shift away from the conservatives, Italy could face a hung parliament. This has prompted Meloni’s coalition to consider revising the electoral law, potentially scrapping first-past-the-post seats to protect their hold on power.

Despite Meloni’s continued popularity and stability-focused governance, her allies remain weak in national polls, limiting her coalition’s overall strength. Meanwhile, the opposition faces its own challenge of uniting diverse factions—ranging from hard-left groups to pro-business centrists—into a single national project. Their first major test will be the 2026 referendum on Meloni’s justice reform, a vote that observers say could significantly impact her political momentum.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright