featured News Trending

A tiger that escaped from a private enclosure near Leipzig was shot dead by police after seriously injuring a 72-year-old keeper on Sunday. Authorities said the man was attacked while inside the enclosure at a privately owned facility near the town of Schkeuditz. After escaping, the male tiger was quickly located by armed officers, who killed the animal to prevent any further danger to the public.

Local media reported the site belongs to controversial animal trainer Carmen Zander, also known as Germany’s “Tiger Queen.” The facility reportedly housed eight big cats, and police confirmed no other animals escaped. Investigators are still examining how the tiger managed to get out of the enclosure, while authorities have planned drone searches to ensure the area remains secure.

The incident has reignited concerns over privately owned exotic animals in Germany. District officials called for the remaining animals to be relocated, warning the situation could have been far worse if more people had been harmed. Animal rights organisation PETA urged stricter regulations on private ownership of dangerous animals, while nearby residents raised concerns about the conditions in which the tigers were being kept.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he would currently discourage his children from studying or working in the United States, pointing to what he described as a worsening social climate and shrinking opportunities even for highly educated professionals. Speaking at a Catholic convention in Wuerzburg, Merz said Germany now offers stronger prospects for young people.

His remarks come amid growing tensions between the United States and its European allies under President Donald Trump. Disagreements over trade, the wars in Ukraine and Iran, and NATO relations have strained ties between Washington and Berlin. Merz recently criticized the United States over the Iran conflict, while Washington responded with plans for partial troop withdrawals from Germany and increased tariffs on European Union car imports.

Although Merz described himself as a longtime admirer of America, he admitted that his opinion was changing. He said many highly educated Americans are struggling to find jobs and suggested the country’s environment has shifted rapidly. Trump has also criticized Germany under Merz, saying the chancellor should focus on fixing his own country before commenting on the United States.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A court in Germany has ruled that chocolate maker Mondelēz International misled consumers by reducing the size of its popular Milka Alpenmilch chocolate bar while keeping nearly identical packaging. The case, brought by Hamburg’s consumer protection office, accused the company of deceiving buyers after shrinking the bar from 100g to 90g while also increasing the price from €1.49 to €1.99.

The Bremen regional court said the unchanged purple wrapper created a misleading impression for customers familiar with the product over many years. Judges ruled that the issue was not the packaging itself, but the gap between consumer expectations and the actual product size. The court stated that clearer and more noticeable labeling about the reduced weight was necessary to avoid deception. Mondelēz said it respected the decision and would review the ruling, though it still has the option to appeal.

The case has become one of Germany’s biggest examples of “shrinkflation” — the practice of reducing product sizes while maintaining or increasing prices due to rising production costs. Consumer groups say chocolate has been especially affected because of soaring cocoa prices linked to poor harvests in West Africa. Other products, including toothpaste, oats, and coffee, have also faced similar criticism, while brands like Ritter Sport have also come under scrutiny for reducing chocolate bar weights.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

European Union foreign ministers have rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin’s suggestion that former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder could represent Europe in future security negotiations with Moscow. Putin recently said he was open to discussing new security arrangements for Europe and named Schroeder as his preferred negotiating partner. However, EU leaders argued that Schroeder’s close ties to Putin and his past work with Russian state energy companies make him unsuitable to act as an impartial mediator.

EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said allowing Russia to effectively choose Europe’s negotiator would be unwise, while Germany’s Europe minister Gunther Krichbaum stated that Schroeder could not be viewed as an “honest broker.” Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022, the European Union has largely isolated Moscow through sanctions and limited diplomatic engagement. Many ministers also questioned whether Russia is genuinely ready for meaningful peace negotiations.

Despite the criticism, some European officials believe the EU should prepare for future direct talks with Moscow alongside ongoing US-led peace efforts. European Council President António Costa said discussions are already taking place among EU leaders about how Europe should approach any future negotiations. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha also said Europe could play a complementary role in peace talks, though several ministers stressed the bloc should first strengthen pressure on Russia and agree on a united strategy before entering negotiations.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Germany’s finance minister Lars Klingbeil has blamed former US President Donald Trump’s “irresponsible war in Iran” for a sharp decline in Germany’s expected tax revenues. Speaking in Berlin, he said the conflict had triggered a “global energy shock,” contributing to weaker economic performance. German authorities have cut projected tax revenues for 2026–2030 by about €70 billion, citing the impact of rising energy costs and global instability.

The comments come amid growing diplomatic tension between Berlin and Washington. Chancellor Friedrich Merz has previously criticized US strategy in Iran, prompting backlash from Trump, who accused German leadership of mismanaging the economy and energy policy. The exchange has further strained already fragile transatlantic relations, with both sides trading criticism over the handling of the conflict and its global consequences.

The war between the US-Israel alliance and Iran, which began in late February, has disrupted global energy markets, particularly through threats to the Strait of Hormuz, a key route for oil and LNG shipments. Although a ceasefire is in place and negotiations continue, uncertainty remains as talks stall and trade disruptions persist, adding pressure to already stagnant European economies like Germany.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Commerzbank announced plans to cut 3,000 jobs and raise its long-term profit targets as it fights to remain independent amid a takeover attempt by Italy’s UniCredit. The German bank said the restructuring would strengthen revenue and profitability by 2028, while criticizing UniCredit’s €37 billion takeover proposal as unclear and risky. Commerzbank also expects around €450 million in restructuring costs tied to the layoffs.

The takeover battle has become a major issue in Germany’s financial and political circles, with UniCredit CEO Andrea Orcel pushing for a major cross-border European banking merger. UniCredit now holds just under a 30% stake in Commerzbank and argues that larger European banks are needed to compete globally. However, Commerzbank insists it can perform better independently and unveiled stronger targets, including €15 billion in revenue and €4.6 billion profit by 2028.

Germany’s government has openly opposed the takeover effort, with Chancellor Friedrich Merz criticizing hostile banking acquisitions and warning they damage trust. Germany still owns a 12% stake in Commerzbank from a past financial crisis bailout, and some politicians are urging Berlin to increase its holding to block UniCredit’s advances. The announcement came as Commerzbank reported a 9.4% rise in first-quarter net profit, beating analyst expectations.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A German tourist has won compensation of more than €900 after taking legal action over the inability to secure sun loungers during a family holiday in Greece. The man, who vacationed with his wife and two children on the island of Kos in 2024, argued that hotel guests routinely reserved sunbeds with towels early in the morning, leaving none available for others despite the resort officially banning the practice.

The tourist claimed he woke up daily at 6:00 a.m. to search for loungers but still failed to find available spots, forcing his children to sit on the floor by the pool. He sued the tour operator for failing to enforce the resort’s rules and for not ensuring fair access to sunbeds. Although the operator had initially refunded €350, a district court in Hanover ruled that the holiday package was “defective” and ordered a higher payout of €986.70 to the family.

The court said that while the travel company did not directly manage the hotel, it still had a responsibility to maintain a reasonable ratio of loungers to guests and proper organisational measures. The case highlights the growing frustration around “sunbed wars,” where holidaymakers reserve poolside loungers with towels for hours. Similar issues have led some resorts and tour companies to introduce stricter rules, paid reservations, and even fines in popular tourist destinations across Europe.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

German defense company Rheinmetall is seeking around €12 billion from the government to take control of the troubled F126 frigate programme, according to reports. The proposed deal would significantly raise the total cost of building six warships to nearly €14 billion, reflecting delays and rising expenses in the project.

The company’s naval division has reportedly outlined its terms after months of evaluation, potentially replacing Dutch shipbuilder Damen, which had been leading the programme. The revised plan includes an inflation adjustment clause and pushes the expected delivery of the first vessel to 2032—about four years later than initially scheduled.

Meanwhile, Germany is also considering alternative options, including purchasing smaller MEKO A-200 frigates from Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems at roughly €1 billion each. Analysts suggest this move could strengthen Berlin’s position in negotiations as it seeks to manage costs and timelines for its naval modernization efforts.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

German police have carried out coordinated raids across the country targeting suspected members of far-right criminal youth groups. More than 600 officers searched around 50 properties in 12 states, including Bavaria, Berlin, Brandenburg, and Saxony. The operation focused on individuals linked to emerging extremist networks, though no arrests were made during the raids.

Prosecutors say the suspects are associated with groups known as “Jung & Stark” (Young and Strong) and “Deutsche Jugend Voran” (Forward German Youth). Authorities allege these groups have used social media platforms to organize violence, forming nationwide networks and encouraging attacks against political opponents and others they targeted. Victims in past incidents were reportedly beaten by multiple attackers and suffered serious injuries.

The raids come amid growing concern over the rise of far-right radicalisation among young people in Germany. Experts warn that these groups, often made up of teenagers and young adults, operate openly online to recruit members and promote militant ideologies. Unlike broader political movements, these networks are said to focus on direct action, including street violence and coordinated assaults.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Audi has warned that a potential U.S. tariff increase on European car imports could have a “significant” impact on its business as it prepares to launch its largest SUV in the American market this summer. The proposed 25% tariff, threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump, would particularly affect models like the Audi Q9, which is produced in Slovakia and exported to the U.S. The company currently relies heavily on imports from Europe and Mexico, as it has no production facility in the United States.

Audi’s finance chief said the company is still assessing the situation but acknowledged that the tariffs would place a heavy burden on operations. He added that Audi, along with parent company Volkswagen, is exploring options to establish manufacturing in the U.S., though such a move would likely require government support such as subsidies or tariff relief to be viable.

The automaker reiterated its 2026 profit outlook, which does not factor in any additional tariff increases beyond the current 15% duty already in place, costing the Volkswagen Group around €4 billion annually. Meanwhile, the company continues its cost-cutting efforts, including plans to reduce around 7,500 jobs by 2029, as it faces mounting pressure from tariffs and strong competition from Chinese automakers.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright