featured News Trending

The Dutch-flagged cruise ship MV Hondius arrived at the port of Rotterdam on Monday after being at the centre of a hantavirus outbreak that killed three people. Dutch authorities prepared quarantine arrangements for the remaining 23 crew members and two medical staff still on board, while the vessel was set to undergo full disinfection procedures.

The luxury liner had around 150 passengers and crew from 23 countries when severe respiratory illnesses were first reported to the World Health Organization on May 2. The outbreak later stranded the ship near Cape Verde after passengers were denied permission to disembark. Following an evacuation coordinated through Spain’s Canary Islands, the ship continued to Rotterdam with only a skeleton crew remaining onboard.

Health officials said the outbreak involved the Andes strain of hantavirus, which is primarily spread by rodents but can rarely transmit between humans after prolonged close contact. According to the WHO, 10 cases have been reported so far, including eight confirmed infections and three deaths involving a Dutch couple and a German national. Authorities worldwide have quarantined passengers, crew and close contacts, with high-risk individuals advised to isolate for 42 days after exposure.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A tiger that escaped from a private enclosure near Leipzig was shot dead by police after seriously injuring a 72-year-old keeper on Sunday. Authorities said the man was attacked while inside the enclosure at a privately owned facility near the town of Schkeuditz. After escaping, the male tiger was quickly located by armed officers, who killed the animal to prevent any further danger to the public.

Local media reported the site belongs to controversial animal trainer Carmen Zander, also known as Germany’s “Tiger Queen.” The facility reportedly housed eight big cats, and police confirmed no other animals escaped. Investigators are still examining how the tiger managed to get out of the enclosure, while authorities have planned drone searches to ensure the area remains secure.

The incident has reignited concerns over privately owned exotic animals in Germany. District officials called for the remaining animals to be relocated, warning the situation could have been far worse if more people had been harmed. Animal rights organisation PETA urged stricter regulations on private ownership of dangerous animals, while nearby residents raised concerns about the conditions in which the tigers were being kept.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Shakira has been acquitted of tax fraud in Spain after the country’s High Court overturned a 55 million euro fine imposed in 2021. The ruling found that Spanish authorities failed to prove the singer spent more than 183 days in Spain during 2011, the threshold required to classify her as a tax resident under Spanish law. Her legal team said she will now receive more than 60 million euros, including interest, from the Spanish Treasury.

Spanish tax authorities had argued Shakira was effectively living in Spain due to her relationship with former Gerard Piqué and her professional activities in the country. However, the court ruled the penalties were unlawful because the claim that she was a Spanish tax resident in 2011 was not sufficiently proven. The decision can still be challenged before Spain’s Supreme Court and only applies to the 2011 fiscal year.

Shakira’s lawyer described the ruling as the end of an “eight-year ordeal” caused by flawed administrative practices. In a statement, the singer said she hoped the judgment would help ordinary people facing unfair treatment from authorities. The ruling is separate from another tax case in which Shakira reached a settlement with prosecutors in 2023 over unpaid taxes between 2012 and 2014, accepting charges and paying a fine exceeding 7.3 million euros to avoid trial.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A man drove a car at high speed into pedestrians in Modena on Saturday, injuring eight people, including four seriously, according to Italian authorities. One woman suffered devastating injuries and had both legs amputated. The vehicle crashed into a shop window near the city’s cathedral before the driver emerged carrying a knife and attacked a passer-by who tried to stop him.

The suspect, a 31-year-old Italian national of Moroccan origin, was eventually restrained by bystanders after injuring a man who chased him. Witnesses said the car suddenly accelerated toward the pavement at speeds estimated around 100 km/h, sending people flying. Officials said the suspect had previously been referred to a mental health centre in 2022 for schizoid disorders but later disappeared from treatment monitoring.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as “extremely serious” and visited victims in hospital alongside President Sergio Mattarella. Meloni also praised passer-by Luca Signorelli for intervening to stop the suspect despite being attacked with a knife. Authorities are continuing their investigation into the motive behind the attack.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Bulgaria won the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest for the first time with singer Dara and her upbeat dance track “Bangaranga.” The final, held in Vienna, was overshadowed by controversy surrounding Israel’s participation during the Gaza conflict. Five countries — Spain, the Netherlands, Ireland, Iceland and Slovenia — boycotted the competition in protest, reducing the contest to 35 entries, the fewest since 2003.

Despite political tensions, Bulgaria’s energetic and non-political performance captured both juries and audiences. Dara described “Bangaranga” as a feeling of love, harmony and fearlessness after securing the country’s first Eurovision trophy. Meanwhile, Israel once again finished second after receiving a massive public vote boost, echoing a similar result in 2025. Some boos were heard in the arena when Israel’s televote points were announced, though the performance itself passed without major disruptions.

This year’s contest took place amid heightened tensions linked to the ongoing Gaza war following the October 7, 2023 Hamas-led attack on Israel. Organisers faced criticism and boycott calls throughout the week, while protests in Vienna remained relatively small and peaceful. Favorites Finland and Australia ultimately finished sixth and fourth respectively, as Bulgaria emerged with a surprise victory in one of Eurovision’s most politically charged editions.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Pope Leo XIV will travel to France from September 25 to 28, with a key stop planned at the headquarters of UNESCO in Paris. The visit comes as UNESCO faces financial pressure following the decision by U.S. President Donald Trump to withdraw the United States from the agency, resulting in a significant budget shortfall.

The Vatican said the pope is also expected to visit the famous Notre-Dame Cathedral, which reopened in 2024 after restoration work following the devastating 2019 fire. Pope Leo may also meet French President Emmanuel Macron and could address the French parliament during the trip. The detailed itinerary will be announced later.

The France visit will be Pope Leo’s fourth international trip of the year and comes amid growing global attention on his leadership style and political comments, including criticism of the Iran conflict that reportedly angered Trump. The pope, formerly Cardinal Robert Prevost, is the first American-born pope and also has French ancestry through immigrant roots in the United States.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A French judge has been appointed to lead an investigation into the 2018 killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi after a Paris appeals court ruled complaints filed by human rights organizations admissible. France’s national anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office said the inquiry will focus on allegations including torture and enforced disappearance.

The case was brought forward by TRIAL International and Reporters Without Borders, while a separate complaint by DAWN was ruled inadmissible. Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in October 2018 by Saudi agents in an operation that U.S. intelligence believed was linked to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

The new French inquiry opens another legal front in a case that has seen limited international judicial action in recent years. A Turkish court transferred its trial involving Saudi suspects to Saudi Arabia in 2022, while a U.S. court dismissed a civil lawsuit after the Biden administration granted immunity to bin Salman following his appointment as prime minister. Under French law, prosecutions for crimes committed abroad generally require suspects to be present in France.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Canada is expanding its Arctic defense cooperation with Nordic countries as concerns grow over regional security and comments by U.S. President Donald Trump about Greenland and Canada. Canadian officials and Nordic allies are increasing military coordination, intelligence sharing and Arctic preparedness amid rising tensions linked to Russia and growing Chinese activity in the region.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has strengthened partnerships with Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland as part of a broader strategy to reduce dependence on the United States for Arctic security. In March, Canada and the Nordic nations agreed to deepen cooperation in defense production, military procurement and cybersecurity. Discussions are also underway to help Greenland develop a local force modeled after Canada’s Rangers.

The renewed focus on Arctic alliances comes as climate change makes the region more accessible and strategically important. Experts say Russia maintains the strongest military presence in the Arctic, while China is increasing its involvement through partnerships and infrastructure projects. Despite Canada’s push for stronger Nordic ties, analysts note that cooperation with the United States through NORAD remains essential for large-scale Arctic defense operations.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he would currently discourage his children from studying or working in the United States, pointing to what he described as a worsening social climate and shrinking opportunities even for highly educated professionals. Speaking at a Catholic convention in Wuerzburg, Merz said Germany now offers stronger prospects for young people.

His remarks come amid growing tensions between the United States and its European allies under President Donald Trump. Disagreements over trade, the wars in Ukraine and Iran, and NATO relations have strained ties between Washington and Berlin. Merz recently criticized the United States over the Iran conflict, while Washington responded with plans for partial troop withdrawals from Germany and increased tariffs on European Union car imports.

Although Merz described himself as a longtime admirer of America, he admitted that his opinion was changing. He said many highly educated Americans are struggling to find jobs and suggested the country’s environment has shifted rapidly. Trump has also criticized Germany under Merz, saying the chancellor should focus on fixing his own country before commenting on the United States.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has warned that Russia is trying to pull Belarus deeper into the ongoing war and could be planning military operations from Belarusian territory. Speaking after a meeting with military and intelligence officials, Zelenskiy said Ukraine had identified fresh contacts between Moscow and Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko regarding possible new aggressive actions.

According to Zelenskiy, Russia may be considering attacks either toward Ukraine’s northern Chernihiv-Kyiv region or directly against a NATO member bordering Belarus. Belarus shares borders with NATO countries Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia, raising concerns about broader regional security. However, Zelenskiy did not provide specific evidence or operational details regarding the alleged plans.

Belarus previously allowed Russian forces to use its territory during the 2022 invasion of Ukraine, though it has not officially deployed its own troops in combat. Minsk has also hosted Russian tactical nuclear weapons and Oreshnik hypersonic missiles. Zelenskiy said Ukraine has ordered stronger defenses along its northern border and warned Belarus against supporting any new Russian military campaign.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright