featured News

A Paris court has found Bernard Squarcini, former head of France’s domestic security services, guilty of misusing public resources to benefit luxury giant LVMH. Squarcini, who led the agency from 2008 to 2012 before being hired as a security consultant by LVMH, was sentenced to two years of house arrest with an electronic bracelet, plus a two-year suspended sentence and a €200,000 fine. His conviction stems from using state resources to track down blackmailers targeting LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault in 2008 and aiding in the illegal surveillance of French lawmaker François Ruffin and his team in 2013.

The court found that Squarcini had ordered security agents to monitor a cyber café in Aix-en-Provence to identify a suspect sending extortion emails to Arnault, justifying the act as protecting French economic interests. He was also complicit in the surveillance of Ruffin and members of his left-wing publication Fakir, who planned to disrupt an LVMH shareholder meeting and were producing the satirical documentary Merci Patron. The film, which won the French César Award for Best Documentary in 2017, highlighted the struggles of workers affected by LVMH’s business practices.

While LVMH settled a criminal probe into the case in 2021 with a €10 million payment without admitting guilt, the company declined to comment on the latest ruling. Bernard Arnault told the court he was unaware of the illegal surveillance, which he said had been arranged by a close associate who passed away in 2018. Ruffin’s lawyer welcomed the verdict but expressed disappointment that Arnault himself was not among the defendants. Squarcini’s legal team announced plans to appeal the decision.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Switzerland has cancelled a planned conference on the application of the Geneva Conventions to the occupied Palestinian territories due to a lack of consensus among participating states. The event, scheduled for March 7 in Geneva, aimed to address the humanitarian situation in the West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem under the Fourth Geneva Convention. However, Switzerland’s Foreign Affairs Ministry confirmed the cancellation after some countries expressed dissatisfaction with the draft declaration.

The Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, Ibrahim Khraishi, criticized the proposed declaration for lacking concrete measures, calling instead for economic and diplomatic actions against Israel to ensure the implementation of the Geneva Conventions. The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation also planned to boycott the event, stating that the document failed to reflect the severity of the situation. Israel, which has been engaged in a war with Hamas and expanding settlements in the West Bank, dismissed the conference as “legal warfare” against the country.

Several Western nations, including Britain, declined to fully support the proposed declaration, leading to a lack of participation. While some European states intended to attend, concerns from Israel’s allies contributed to the conference’s cancellation, marking a diplomatic setback for neutral Switzerland, which has long been known for hosting peace talks and conflict mediation efforts.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

European Union leaders are set to endorse bold measures to boost defence spending and reaffirm support for Ukraine during a high-stakes summit in Brussels on Thursday. The meeting, attended by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, comes amid growing concerns over the U.S.’s shifting stance on military aid under Donald Trump. French President Emmanuel Macron has stressed the need for Europe to prepare for its own security, even suggesting that France’s nuclear arsenal could be extended to protect EU allies. Meanwhile, Germany is moving to loosen borrowing limits to fund additional defence spending, and the European Commission has proposed mobilizing up to €800 billion for European defence.

Despite widespread European support for Ukraine, internal divisions remain, with Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orban threatening to veto a statement backing Kyiv. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has proposed a military aid pledge of at least €20 billion for Ukraine in 2025, but disagreements persist over contributions, with Nordic and Baltic nations urging larger commitments from France, Italy, and Spain. Paris, Rome, and Madrid reject claims they are not doing enough, arguing that public figures do not fully reflect their military contributions.

The summit highlights the deepening geopolitical rift as Europe seeks to bolster its security in the face of a potentially reduced U.S. role. Trump’s mixed signals on NATO and Ukraine have fueled concerns about European defence autonomy, prompting urgent discussions on coordinated military efforts. While most EU nations are eager to reassure Ukraine of continued support, Orban’s opposition underscores lingering fractures within the bloc. European leaders are now working to finalize concrete defence measures and financial commitments to safeguard the continent’s security.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Serbian opposition lawmakers ignited smoke grenades and used pepper spray inside parliament on Tuesday in a dramatic protest against the government, supporting ongoing student-led demonstrations. The chaos erupted after the ruling Serbian Progressive Party (SNS) approved the legislative agenda, prompting opposition members to scuffle with security guards. Amid the mayhem, SNS lawmaker Jasmina Obradovic suffered a stroke and was hospitalized in serious condition.

The unrest follows four months of protests sparked by the collapse of a railway station roof in Novi Sad last November, which killed 15 people. Demonstrators, including students, teachers, and farmers, accuse the government of corruption and incompetence, demanding justice for the victims. Outside parliament, hundreds of protesters held a silent vigil, while inside, opposition lawmakers disrupted the session with whistles and horns, holding signs calling for a “general strike” and “justice for those killed.”

Despite calls for a transitional government to ensure fair elections, President Aleksandar Vucic and his allies have rejected the demand, alleging foreign interference in the unrest. While parliament was set to approve increased funding for universities, tensions escalated over the planned acknowledgment of Prime Minister Milos Vucevic’s resignation. The session was adjourned and is set to resume on Wednesday, as opposition leaders urged for a major rally in Belgrade on March 15.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Renowned Scottish artist Jack Vettriano, best known for his iconic painting The Singing Butler, has passed away at the age of 73. His publicist confirmed that he was found dead in his apartment in Nice, France, on Saturday, with local reports stating there were no suspicious circumstances. Remembered as a deeply private and humble man, Vettriano gained widespread popularity for his evocative paintings depicting themes of romance, mystery, and nostalgia.

Born in 1951 into a coal mining family in Methil, Scotland, Vettriano took up painting in his early twenties and was largely self-taught. His breakthrough came in 1988 when two of his paintings sold at the Royal Scottish Academy’s annual show, leading to a successful career despite criticism from the art establishment. The Singing Butler fetched a record-breaking £744,800 at auction in 2004, and a reinterpretation by Banksy is expected to sell for up to £5 million this week.

Vettriano’s later work became more overtly erotic, mirroring his own hedonistic lifestyle, which included struggles with drugs and alcohol. Despite his immense commercial success, he often clashed with art critics, believing their disapproval stemmed from jealousy and his lack of formal training. “I am a melancholic romantic,” he once said, describing his paintings as both a celebration of women and a reflection of human desires. His legacy lives on through his captivating and widely admired artwork.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Acting President Badra Gunba has secured victory in Abkhazia’s presidential election, winning nearly 55% of the vote against opposition leader Adgur Ardzinba, who garnered just under 42%, according to preliminary results from the region’s electoral commission. The election follows months of political turmoil that saw former leader Aslan Bzhania ousted after mass protests against an investment deal with Russia. In a speech following his win, Gunba vowed to make Abkhazia “independent, free, and prosperous.”

Abkhazia, a Russia-backed breakaway region of Georgia, has been grappling with an electricity crisis caused by low water levels at a key hydroelectric plant and extensive cryptocurrency mining. The Georgian government condemned the election as a violation of its sovereignty and territorial integrity, as most countries recognize Abkhazia as part of Georgia. Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated Gunba on his victory, reinforcing Moscow’s strong ties with the territory.

Abkhazia declared independence from Georgia after a war in the early 1990s, with Russian support, and Moscow officially recognized the region following the 2008 Russia-Georgia war. Despite heavy reliance on Russia for political and economic stability, some Abkhazians remain wary of growing Russian influence. The region has experienced political instability, with Gunba’s win marking the third time since 2014 that an Abkhazian leader has been forced out by mass protests.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Jamaica is pushing forward with a bill to remove King Charles as its head of state, reflecting a growing shift away from colonial ties. Prime Minister Andrew Holness’ government introduced the bill in December, setting the stage for a parliamentary debate and a potential national referendum. However, critics argue that the proposed method of selecting a new president—appointed by the prime minister in consultation with the opposition leader—risks creating a symbolic rather than substantive change.

Opposition groups, including the People’s National Party (PNP), and civil rights advocates are calling for deeper reforms, including the adoption of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) as Jamaica’s final court of appeal, replacing the London-based Privy Council. Many argue that maintaining the Privy Council contradicts the country’s push for independence and could discourage public support for the referendum. PNP leader Mark Golding emphasized the need for “full decolonization” rather than a phased approach.

The bill, expected to pass the lower house where the governing Jamaica Labour Party holds a majority, will require opposition support in the upper house before heading to a public vote. If passed, the referendum—likely by next year—will need a two-thirds majority to take effect. However, with a general election also on the horizon, the timeline for Jamaica’s break from the monarchy remains uncertain.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

The UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has announced an investigation into potential conflicts of interest at firms managing private assets, warning of possible adverse impacts on investors. As money managers shift focus to private markets—such as infrastructure and credit funds—amid declining interest in actively-managed stocks, the regulator aims to ensure that investor interests are not compromised. Unlike publicly-traded assets, private market investments lack liquidity and price transparency, heightening risks for investors.

In a letter to market participants, the FCA highlighted concerns over firms operating in overlapping business lines, which could lead to conflicts of interest. The regulator will evaluate how firms implement their conflict-of-interest frameworks and expects updated procedures to manage these risks as private markets expand. The FCA emphasized that governance bodies must oversee these frameworks effectively to protect investor outcomes.

Additionally, the FCA published a speech by its executive director, Sarah Pritchard, addressing leverage-related risks in private markets. Speaking at an Investment Association roundtable, Pritchard acknowledged that leverage supports well-functioning markets but warned of vulnerabilities when poorly managed. She cautioned that excessive leverage, lack of transparency, or concentrated risks could amplify instability and erode confidence during economic shocks.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

More than 1,000 musicians, including Kate Bush and Cat Stevens, have released a silent album titled Is This What We Want? to protest proposed changes to Britain’s copyright laws. The UK government is considering allowing artificial intelligence developers to train their models on any legally accessible material unless creators explicitly opt out, a move that artists argue undermines copyright protections and threatens their livelihoods. The album features recordings of empty studios and performance spaces to symbolize the potential consequences for musicians.

The proposal, part of Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s vision to make Britain an AI superpower, has sparked widespread criticism from the creative community. Opponents, including Annie Lennox, Hans Zimmer, and The Clash, warn that the changes would allow AI companies to use artists’ work for free, making it harder for human creators to compete. Ed Newton-Rex, founder of the nonprofit Fairly Trained, stated that while the UK can lead in AI, it should not come at the expense of its world-renowned creative industries.

A government spokesperson defended the proposal, stating that the current copyright and AI regulations were limiting the potential of creative industries, media, and the AI sector. They emphasized that no final decisions had been made and that extensive consultations with stakeholders would continue. The public consultation on the legal changes closed on Tuesday, with many in the music industry urging the government to reconsider its approach.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Moldova’s government has called on the country’s Orthodox clergy to “tell the truth” about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, emphasizing the destruction of around 500 places of worship since the war began. Government spokesperson Daniel Voda made the appeal on Sunday, highlighting that the conflict is not just about territorial control but also the devastation of religious sites. His remarks come amid a growing rift between Moldova’s Orthodox churches, with many parishes shifting allegiance from the Moscow-linked Moldova Metropolis to the Romania-linked Metropolis of Bessarabia.

While the Moscow-affiliated church in Moldova insists it has condemned the war from the start and has provided aid to thousands of Ukrainian refugees, media reports suggest that some priests continue to support Russia’s actions. The church has acknowledged that groups of clergy have taken pilgrimages to Russian holy sites with financial backing from Moscow. Despite these divisions, Metropolitan Vladimir, head of the Moscow-linked church, maintains that he prays for peace and refrains from mentioning Russian President Vladimir Putin in his services.

Moldova’s religious schism mirrors the country’s complex history, as its territory has shifted between the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union, and Greater Romania. The Romania-linked Metropolis of Bessarabia has increasingly aligned with Moldova’s aspirations to join the European Union by 2030. With more than 90% of Moldovans adhering to Orthodox Christianity, the ongoing church split underscores deeper geopolitical and social shifts within the nation.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright