featured News Trending

A Russian court has sentenced stand-up comedian Artemy Ostanin to nearly six years in prison for inciting hatred after a joke he made about a war veteran sparked public outrage. Ostanin was handed a jail term of five years and nine months along with a fine of 300,000 roubles, a Reuters reporter said, in one of the latest cases targeting speech deemed offensive to the military during Russia’s war in Ukraine.

The conviction stemmed from a March 2025 performance in which Ostanin joked about a war veteran who had lost his legs to a mine and was using a skateboard to get around, as well as referring to a wheelchair in derogatory terms. A video of the performance later went viral on Telegram after being shared by nationalist groups and military bloggers, who accused the comedian of mocking veterans fighting for the country.

Ostanin was also found guilty of offending the feelings of Christians over a separate joke about Jesus, drawing criticism from Orthodox nationalist organisations. After facing mounting backlash, he attempted to flee Russia but was arrested in Belarus and returned to Moscow to stand trial. Speaking in court after the verdict, Ostanin said he did not accept the ruling, calling the punishment excessive.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

The European Union has added Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) to its list of terrorist organisations, citing the group’s central role in a deadly crackdown on anti-government protests. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said the move was a response to widespread repression, placing the IRGC alongside groups such as al-Qaeda and Islamic State. Iran condemned the decision, calling it a “strategic mistake”, while human rights groups say thousands of protesters were killed during unrest in December and January.

France, which had previously been cautious over the move due to concerns about severing diplomatic ties with Tehran, backed the decision this week, alongside Italy and other EU states. The bloc also imposed new sanctions on six Iranian entities and 15 senior officials accused of involvement in violent repression, including Iran’s interior minister and senior judicial figures. Those listed face travel bans and asset freezes under EU rules.

The decision comes amid rising tensions between Iran and the West, as the US increases its military presence in the region and pushes Tehran to negotiate over its nuclear programme. US President Donald Trump said he hoped to avoid military action but warned Iran to engage in talks, while Iranian officials said their forces were ready to respond to any aggression. Independent groups estimate the death toll from the protests could exceed 20,000, though Iran disputes those figures.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Denmark’s government said on Friday it will introduce tougher deportation laws aimed at making it easier to expel foreign nationals, including criminals, even if the move risks conflict with the European Court of Human Rights. The announcement comes amid a broader hardening of attitudes across Europe toward migration and asylum, with several governments expressing frustration over court rulings that have blocked deportations.

Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said her coalition government would move ahead without waiting for changes in how the European Convention on Human Rights is interpreted, arguing that Denmark’s approach reflects the intent of many countries signed up to the convention. Facing mounting pressure from nationalist and anti-immigration parties ahead of an election due by October, Frederiksen acknowledged the reforms could prompt legal challenges.

The proposed measures, expected to take effect from May if approved, include stricter deportation rules for foreign nationals convicted of serious crimes, electronic tagging for migrants who breach reporting requirements, and the appointment of a deportation envoy. Denmark also plans to reopen its embassy in Syria, review refugee permits more aggressively, and explore establishing an EU reception centre outside the bloc, reinforcing the country’s long-standing tough stance on immigration.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Spain’s government has unveiled a draft decree to provide legal status to hundreds of thousands of undocumented migrants, in a bid to accelerate integration and support key economic sectors. The measure targets those who have lived in the country for at least five months by the end of 2025 and have no criminal record, as well as asylum applicants. The permit will initially be valid for one year, extendable up to five years for children, and could lead to citizenship after 10 years—or sooner for Latin American nationals and refugees.

The decree is expected to benefit around 500,000 people, primarily from Latin America, strengthening Spain’s approach to migration based on human rights, social cohesion, and economic growth. Migration Minister Elma Saiz emphasized that Spain’s openness to migrants has helped fuel employment in sectors such as hospitality and care, contributing to lower unemployment and robust economic performance relative to other European nations.

While the decree can be enacted by the cabinet without parliamentary approval, it faces potential political opposition. Conservative leader Alberto Nuñez Feijoo has pledged to reverse the policy if his party wins the next election. The initiative follows citizen-backed campaigns supported by hundreds of rights groups and the Catholic Church, aimed at regularizing undocumented migrants who now account for a significant portion of Spain’s non-EU population.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy has renewed a strong appeal urging its citizens to leave Iran due to growing security concerns, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday. Around 600 Italians are currently in Iran, most of them based in Tehran, according to the ministry, which said the warning reflects the deteriorating situation in the country.

The appeal comes as Iran’s leadership struggles to contain its most serious domestic unrest since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, amid rising international tensions. Tehran has sought to deter repeated threats of U.S. intervention voiced by President Donald Trump in support of anti-government protesters, adding to regional instability.

Italy’s foreign ministry also said precautionary measures were being taken to protect more than 900 Italian military personnel deployed across the region, including about 500 in Iraq and 400 in Kuwait. Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani chaired a high-level meeting with diplomats, defence officials and intelligence representatives, reaffirming Italy’s condemnation of the violent repression of protests in Iran and what it described as serious human rights violations.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Pope Leo on Friday delivered a sharply worded annual foreign policy speech at the Vatican, condemning the growing use of military force to achieve diplomatic goals and warning that global conflicts are becoming increasingly normalized. Addressing ambassadors from 184 countries, the first U.S.-born pope said international institutions were failing to restrain wars, as diplomacy based on dialogue was being replaced by diplomacy rooted in force.

Referring to recent events in Venezuela, including the capture of President Nicolas Maduro by U.S. forces, Leo urged governments to “respect the will” of the Venezuelan people and safeguard their human and civil rights. He stressed that protecting democratic choice and basic freedoms must remain central to international engagement, particularly in politically fragile nations.

In a notably fiery tone, Leo also criticized abortion, euthanasia and surrogate births, while warning that freedom of expression was shrinking in Western societies. He cautioned against what he called an emerging “Orwellian-style language” that excludes dissenting views under the guise of inclusivity, and highlighted what he described as subtle religious discrimination against Christians in Europe and the Americas.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

The Faroe Islands has voted to legalise abortion up to the 12th week of pregnancy, ending one of Europe’s most restrictive abortion laws. The new legislation, passed in a tight 17–16 vote after intense debate, replaces rules dating back to 1956 that allowed abortions only in exceptional circumstances such as rape, incest, serious fetal abnormalities or risks to the woman’s health.

Supporters of the reform, including MP Ingilín Didriksen Strømm, described the decision as historic, saying it finally ensures women’s autonomy and access to safe healthcare. Human rights groups such as Amnesty International also welcomed the change, noting that many Faroese women previously had to travel to Denmark—where abortion is legal up to 18 weeks—for the procedure due to strict local laws and social stigma.

While pro-choice advocates celebrated what they call a major step forward, conservative opponents argued that fetal rights must be protected and suggested efforts may be made to reverse the law in the future. The reform marks a significant cultural shift for the small, traditionally conservative archipelago of 56,000 people, where past attempts to liberalise abortion policy have repeatedly failed.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

A BBC investigation suggests that Georgian authorities used a World War One–era chemical agent, known as camite, in water cannons during anti-government protests in late 2024. Demonstrators in Tbilisi reported severe burning sensations, difficulty breathing, coughing and vomiting—symptoms that persisted for weeks. Doctors, chemical weapons specialists, and whistleblowers from Georgia’s riot police provided evidence pointing toward the use of this long-discontinued compound, once deployed by France in WW1 and eventually abandoned due to its prolonged harmful effects.

Paediatrician and protester Dr Konstantine Chakhunashvili conducted a survey of nearly 350 affected demonstrators, finding that almost half experienced symptoms lasting more than 30 days. His study, soon to be published in Toxicology Reports, also noted abnormal heart electrical activity among many participants. These findings supported theories from journalists, civil rights groups and medical experts that the water cannon contained more than just irritants like pepper spray or CS gas.

Whistleblowers from Georgia’s Special Tasks Department revealed that the chemical used closely resembles one tested in 2009, which they described as extremely difficult to wash off and far more harmful than standard tear gas. Despite recommendations against its use, they say it continued to be loaded into water cannon vehicles for years. The Georgian government dismissed the BBC’s findings as “absurd,” insisting police acted lawfully against what they called “violent criminals.”

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Ludwig Minelli, the founder of the Swiss right-to-die organisation Dignitas, has died by assisted suicide at the age of 92, just days before his 93rd birthday. Dignitas paid tribute to Minelli, describing his life as one dedicated to freedom of choice, self-determination, and human rights. Since he founded the organisation in 1998, Dignitas has assisted thousands of people seeking an end to their suffering, becoming one of the most recognised names in global debates on assisted dying.

Minelli initially worked as a journalist before turning to law and human rights advocacy, becoming a leading voice in the international right-to-die movement. He campaigned passionately for what he called society’s “last human right”—the ability to decide one’s own end in a safe and painless way. His efforts helped shape legal and ethical discussions worldwide, including a notable 2011 European Court of Human Rights ruling affirming the right of competent individuals to determine the manner and timing of their death.

Despite his influence, Minelli also faced criticism and legal challenges within Switzerland, particularly over Dignitas’ openness to helping non-terminally ill individuals and foreigners seeking assisted suicide. While euthanasia remains illegal in Switzerland, assisted dying has been permitted since 1942 under strict conditions. Dignitas emphasised that it will continue Minelli’s mission, operating as an international organisation committed to self-determination and freedom of choice at the end of life.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Spain has exhumed remains from a mass grave in Vegas de Matute as part of the country’s ongoing effort to recover victims executed during the Franco dictatorship. Forensic teams uncovered the body of a man believed to be either Luis Garcia Hernandez, a teacher and union member, or Julio Maroto Ortega, a road worker, both executed in 1936 by fascist forces during the Spanish Civil War. The discovery was observed by relatives and activists from the Association for the Recovery of Historical Memory, who have been pushing for justice and recognition since 2000.

The exhumation is one of many initiatives supported by Spain’s Socialist-led government since 2018, aimed at confronting the legacy of dictator Francisco Franco and offering dignity to thousands buried in unmarked graves. Local resident Jose Luis Cubo, 83, recounted how his grandfather had witnessed the execution and helped bury the bodies at night, calling the farmland area a long-feared “death zone.” Even decades later, he said, crops grew differently above what locals believed to be the burial site.

Spain remains deeply divided over Franco’s legacy, 50 years after his death ended four decades of dictatorship and paved the way for democracy and entry into the EU and NATO. Authorities estimate that around 114,000 people disappeared during the conflict and subsequent regime, though only 20,000 are likely recoverable today. With 9,000 bodies already found and 700 identified, the government expects the remaining graves to be uncovered within four years. Officials say each recovery helps restore historical truth, even if the remains cannot be individually named.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright