featured News

The Louvre Museum in Paris will raise ticket prices by 45% for most non-EU tourists starting 14 January, increasing the standard entry cost to €32. Visitors from countries such as the US, UK, and China will be affected, with guided group visitors paying €28. The measure aims to generate €15m–€20m annually to support major upgrades, including modernisation and improved visitor facilities.

The decision follows growing concerns over the museum’s outdated security and infrastructure, highlighted after a €102m jewellery heist in October that exposed serious vulnerabilities. An official audit revealed insufficient maintenance investment, despite the museum heavily prioritising art acquisitions in recent years.

With nearly 9 million visitors last year—many rushing to the Mona Lisa—crowding and long queues have long been a challenge. President Emmanuel Macron has backed plans to revamp the museum, move the Mona Lisa to a new space, and expand amenities such as restrooms and restaurants. Renovations will continue alongside closures of ageing sections, including a gallery of Greek ceramics flagged for structural issues.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

More than 600,000 people in Kyiv and surrounding areas were left without electricity after Russia launched a large-scale overnight attack targeting Ukraine’s energy infrastructure. Officials reported that over 36 missiles and nearly 600 drones were fired across multiple regions, leaving at least three dead and dozens injured. The majority of outages hit the capital, where emergency crews responded to fires and damaged residential buildings.

As winter sets in, Russia has intensified strikes on Ukraine’s energy grid, echoing previous years when civilians endured rolling blackouts. Kyiv Mayor Vitaly Klitschko confirmed that a 13-year-old was among the injured, while Dtek Energy said power had been restored to more than half of the affected households by Saturday afternoon. Ukraine’s Air Force reported intercepting 558 drones and 19 missiles despite the heavy bombardment.

The attack comes as Ukrainian and US officials prepare for talks on a revised peace plan backed by Washington. While President Zelensky has welcomed diplomatic efforts, he stresses Ukraine’s need to protect its sovereignty. Meanwhile, President Putin reiterated that Russia would only halt its offensive if Ukrainian forces withdraw from territory Moscow claims, as both sides brace for another harsh winter of conflict.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban has once again broken ranks with his EU and NATO partners by meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow, just days before US-Russia discussions on the Ukraine war. Orban, one of Putin’s closest allies in Europe, has consistently opposed European efforts to isolate Russia, and his latest visit drew sharp criticism from EU leaders. Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz said Orban was acting without any European mandate, calling his diplomacy “nothing new.”

During the meeting, Putin thanked Orban for offering Budapest as a venue for a potential Trump-Putin summit and praised Hungary’s “balanced position” on Ukraine. Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said the visit secured guarantees for Russian oil and gas supplies and confirmed continued work on Hungary’s Paks nuclear plant. The atmosphere, however, appeared tense, with reports of awkward interactions and suggestions from Hungarian media of mistranslated remarks meant to paint a friendlier picture.

Orban, facing a tough parliamentary election next April, is seen as using these high-profile diplomatic moments to strengthen his political standing. He continues to champion Trump’s proposed peace plan for Ukraine while accusing EU leaders of warmongering. Despite pressure from Brussels to cut dependence on Russian energy by 2027, Hungary still relies heavily on Russian oil, gas, and nuclear fuel. As Putin openly supports Orban’s re-election, both leaders appear aligned in leveraging the visit for political advantage.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Three elderly Austrian nuns who left a Catholic care home and returned to their former Alpine convent have been told they may stay—but only if they give up social media. Sisters Bernadette (88), Regina (86), and Rita (82) had been removed from the Kloster Goldenstein convent in 2023, a move they say was against their will. After returning in September with the help of former students and a locksmith, the nuns rejected the Church’s initial terms, calling them a “gagging contract”.

The nuns have gained global attention after supporters began posting videos of their daily routines—from prayer sessions to Sister Rita’s exercise workouts—amassing nearly 100,000 Instagram followers. Their online popularity angered Church authorities, who now say the sisters may remain at the convent only if they stop posting online and restrict access to the private parts of the monastery. In exchange, the Church will continue providing medical and spiritual support.

In a statement, the nuns said they were open to discussion but insisted that giving up social media would deprive them of their “only protection” and lacked legal basis. The three have spent decades at Schloss Goldenstein, which served as a convent and school since 1877. Despite their community being formally dissolved in 2024, the sisters remain determined to stay in the place they have called home for most of their lives.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Black Friday 2025 saw a major shift in shopping behaviour as Americans increasingly chose to shop online rather than line up outside stores in the cold. According to Adobe Analytics, shoppers spent $8.6 billion online by early Friday, with total Black Friday online sales expected to reach nearly $12 billion. The traditional rush outside malls and electronics stores faded, replaced by mid-morning online buying spikes and evening surges. Many shoppers who did venture out said they were more budget-conscious due to a softening labour market and lingering inflation.

Deep discounts and extended online promotions have blurred the boundaries between Black Friday and the rest of Cyber Week. Retailers are spreading deals across multiple days, making online platforms the top hub for bargain hunting. Cyber Monday is expected to set a new record with an estimated $14.2 billion in online spending. At the same time, higher prices driven by inflation and tariff impacts have made shoppers more selective. Data from Salesforce shows average selling prices in the U.S. rising faster than the global average, partly due to tariffs and retailers protecting their margins.

Despite cautious spending, affluent consumers continue to drive strong sales in luxury and high-end categories. Meanwhile, the usual early-morning crowds were noticeably thinner at stores like Walmart and Target, with some offering freebies to draw foot traffic. Labour unrest also shaped the day, with strikes at Amazon warehouses in Germany, protests in Spain, and expanded Starbucks walkouts in the U.S. Overall, Black Friday 2025 reflected a retail landscape where online shopping dominates, consumer behaviour shifts, and economic uncertainty plays a growing role.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

An Italian court has ruled that the proposed 3,666-metre suspension bridge linking Sicily to mainland Italy violates EU environmental and tender regulations, casting a major setback for Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni’s flagship infrastructure project. The Court of Auditors said the government failed to justify overriding environmental concerns involving coastal and marine ecosystems in Sicily and Calabria.

The project—debated for over 50 years—has long divided the country, with supporters arguing it would boost the economy and strengthen transport routes, including for NATO forces. Critics, however, warn of environmental risks, high costs, and seismic dangers. The judges also pointed out major discrepancies in project financing, noting that the new estimated cost of €13.5 billion is more than triple the original projection, potentially requiring a fresh tender under EU rules.

Despite the ruling, the government insists it remains committed to the bridge. Infrastructure Minister Matteo Salvini, a key backer, said the concerns can be addressed, while the Eurolink consortium selected to build the bridge expressed confidence in the project’s future. If clarifications fail, the government may attempt to override the objections through a cabinet vote, a move that could ignite further legal battles.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Ukraine’s Lychakiv Cemetery in Lviv is nearing capacity as the war with Russia approaches its fourth year, with more than 1,000 fallen soldiers already laid to rest. Families visiting the graves express a deep desire for peace, even if it means facing difficult compromises. For many, including parents who lost children, the scale of loss is overwhelming and heartbreaking.

As Russia advances in the east, the U.S.-backed peace proposal has intensified debate in Ukraine, with Washington urging Kyiv to consider concessions, including giving up territory still partly controlled by Ukrainian forces. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, however, has warned that Ukraine is facing its most challenging moment yet and insists he will not agree to a deal that undermines the country’s core interests.

Grief-stricken families are divided on the issue: some believe negotiations are necessary to stop further bloodshed, while others argue that yielding land dishonors the sacrifice of the fallen. Many, like 68-year-old Antonina Ryshko, whose son died fighting, reject any territorial compromise, questioning what their loved ones died for. With new burial grounds already being prepared, the human cost of the conflict remains painfully visible across the nation.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Switzerland will vote on Sunday on a proposed wealth tax targeting fortunes of 50 million Swiss francs ($62 million) or more, a move seen as a test of the public’s appetite for redistribution in one of the world’s richest nations. The initiative, launched by the youth wing of the Social Democrats (JUSO), calls for a 50% levy on ultra-large inheritances, with the revenue earmarked for climate-impact reduction projects. Swiss authorities estimate around 2,500 taxpayers hold assets exceeding 50 million francs, collectively worth about 500 billion francs.

Polls suggest the measure is unlikely to pass, with up to two-thirds of voters opposed, though analysts say the margin of rejection will signal how far Switzerland may shift toward wealth-distribution policies. Business leaders such as UBS CEO Sergio Ermotti have expressed concern, warning the outcome will indicate the country’s future economic direction. This comes amid rising living-cost pressures and previous voter approval of additional pension payments, reflecting growing financial anxieties.

Supporters argue that the super-rich contribute disproportionately to climate damage through luxury consumption, with JUSO leaders claiming the 10 richest families emit as much carbon as most of the population. Critics, including the Swiss government, fear the plan would drive wealthy residents out of the country and undermine tax revenues. Finance Minister Karin Keller-Sutter warned the initiative would harm Switzerland’s attractiveness, reinforcing the government’s call to reject it.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

Germany said on Thursday it would work to convince U.S. President Donald Trump to reverse his decision to exclude South Africa from next year’s G20 summit in Florida. Trump has repeatedly accused South Africa’s black-majority government of mistreating its white population, citing widely debunked claims of attacks on white farmers. These assertions led Washington to boycott the recent G20 summit in Johannesburg, despite the group adopting a joint declaration on climate and global challenges.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa’s office said several G20 members had privately expressed support for Pretoria after Trump’s comments. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz publicly stated he would lobby Trump to extend an invitation to South Africa, stressing that G20 and G7 forums should not be reduced without solid justification. South Africa, however, said it would not campaign for backing from individual countries, noting the delicate diplomatic position many face with the United States.

Trump’s criticism intensified after he claimed South Africa mishandled the handover of the G20 presidency—an allegation Pretoria denies, saying the U.S. delegation was not present at the time. Although it is unclear how the U.S. could formally block South Africa’s participation, experts suggest visa denials could be one tactic. The dispute adds fresh strain to already tense U.S.–South Africa trade negotiations, which have been affected by new U.S. tariffs and cuts to financial assistance earlier this year.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News

French President Emmanuel Macron announced on Thursday a new voluntary youth military service set to begin by mid-2026, aiming to strengthen the nation’s defense in the face of “accelerating threats” worldwide. Open to 18- and 19-year-olds, the program will last 10 months, offer pay, and initially engage 3,000 participants on French soil, expanding to 10,000 by 2030. The initiative is part of a broader European trend, aligning France with countries like Germany and Denmark, and will cost an estimated 2 billion euros ($2.32 billion).

Macron emphasized that the program is not a return to conscription, which was abolished by Jacques Chirac in 1996, but rather a “hybrid army model” combining national service youth, reservists, and the active military. Participants could integrate into civilian life, continue as reservists, or join the armed forces full-time. France also plans to expand its pool of reservists to 100,000 by 2030, up from around 47,000 today, with total military strength reaching approximately 210,000.

The announcement comes amid controversy sparked by comments from General Fabien Mandon, France’s armed forces chief, who suggested that France may need to endure losses in the face of Russian aggression. Macron clarified that the youth program would not involve sending French volunteers to Ukraine, while political figures defended Mandon’s blunt remarks as a necessary warning to the public.

Pic Courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright