featured News Trending

France’s consumer watchdog has fined British fast-fashion retailer Boohoo €2.3 million for deceptive practices on its website. The DGCCRF said the company exaggerated discounts, giving shoppers a misleading impression of the savings they were receiving.

The regulator found that 40% of promotions reviewed were not genuine price reductions, while 7% offered smaller discounts than advertised. In 48% of cases, the prices were actually higher. Boohoo was also accused of using terms such as “leather” and “suede” for synthetic products, violating French product-labeling rules.

Boohoo said the issues occurred between October 2023 and February 2024 under its previous management and have since been resolved. The company said it cooperated with the regulator and continues to review its pricing and product-labeling practices. Shares in Boohoo parent Debenhams fell 2.4% on Thursday.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Russian President Vladimir Putin visited Moscow’s Cathedral of the Archangel on Thursday to inspect the recently uncovered remains of medieval warrior prince Dmitry Donskoy. The remains were discovered last month during restoration work in a crypt near the cathedral’s southern wall, surprising historians who had believed the prince was buried elsewhere.

The Russian Orthodox Church said the well-preserved remains were identified as those of Donskoy based on their physical characteristics and historical records. Experts said the remains belonged to a man just under 180 cm tall who died of natural causes between the ages of 35 and 45. Putin lit a candle inside the frescoed cathedral and stood beside the white-stone sarcophagus as experts explained the discovery.

Dmitry Donskoy died in 1389 at the age of 39 after ruling the principalities of Muscovy and Vladimir. He is remembered for expanding Muscovy’s territory, overseeing the construction of the first stone Kremlin fortress and defeating Mongol forces in the 1380 Battle of Kulikovo, a major event in Russian history.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Ten years after a devastating earthquake killed 303 people and destroyed much of central Italy’s Amatrice, the town is still struggling to recover. The 6.2-magnitude quake left thousands homeless, with Amatrice suffering the highest number of deaths. Although the government has approved billions of euros for reconstruction, only 38% of damaged properties in Amatrice have been restored.

Rebuilding has been slowed by bureaucracy, legal disputes, ownership issues and labour shortages. The COVID-19 pandemic further disrupted construction, while Italy’s Superbonus renovation scheme increased building costs and diverted workers to more profitable projects elsewhere. Around 1,000 residents, or about 60% of Amatrice’s population, still live in prefabricated shelters.

Beyond the physical reconstruction, residents fear the town is losing its connection with a younger generation. Families that once returned every summer are increasingly staying away, while some residents have left permanently. Mayor Giorgio Cortellesi says the town is being rebuilt, but questions whether recreating the old town is enough to restore the community and its way of life.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Irish lawmakers have asked TikTok to explain how it handles videos that glorify illegal and dangerous driving after police warned that young people were driving on the wrong side of motorways for social media attention. The move follows a deadly crash on Sunday in which five teenage boys died, while three women and a child in another vehicle were seriously injured.

Videos reportedly showing dangerous driving and motorway stunts have spread widely across social media. Ireland’s media regulator has also asked TikTok for details on the steps it has taken to address reckless driving content. TikTok said it was monitoring material linked to the crash and removing videos and accounts that violate its rules.

Irish police groups say groups of young men have been competing to create increasingly dangerous videos involving traffic violations and encounters with police. The government has promised additional resources for law enforcement and is considering making wrong-way motorway driving a separate offence, while police plan to introduce vehicle-pursuit training later this year.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Germany’s VDMA engineering association has urged European and German policymakers to place humanoid robotics and physical AI at the top of their political agenda. The industrial lobby warned that Europe must urgently build resilient domestic supply chains for critical components to keep pace with the rapidly accelerating global market. According to the association, the central challenge facing the region is scaling up local manufacturing capabilities to secure technological sovereignty.

The call to action comes as global shipments of humanoid robots nearly quadrupled in the first half of the year to 19,100 units, with Chinese manufacturers largely driving the surge. Demonstrating this momentum, Chinese robot maker Unitree saw its stock skyrocket during its Shanghai trading debut, marking a major milestone for China’s robotics industry. As the sector rapidly becomes a key battleground in the broader Sino-U.S. tech rivalry, European leaders fear being left behind without decisive policy support.

To counter the growing dominance of foreign competitors, the VDMA stressed that Europe must establish a comprehensive, end-to-end value chain. By manufacturing key physical AI components locally, European nations can protect their industrial sectors against supply disruptions while attempting to capture market share in the emerging global race for humanoid robotics leadership.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

As Europe accelerates efforts to strengthen its strategic autonomy in defence and critical technologies, Italy’s space industry is facing mounting pressure to scale up. Historically defined by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with niche engineering expertise, the sector is struggling to meet evolving customer demands. Major defence buyers like Leonardo, alongside commercial clients, are increasingly favoring larger suppliers that can offer vertical integration, broad production capacity, and end-to-end industrial solutions rather than standalone components or engineering know-how.

The push for scale is driven by the growing importance of dual-use (civilian and military) technologies, competition from heavily capitalized global players like SpaceX, and broader geopolitical shifts. However, Italian executives point to limited access to private capital and fragmented European funding as significant barriers to growth. To overcome these hurdles, public and private initiatives are stepping in—such as a joint financing program by Intesa Sanpaolo, the European Investment Bank, and the European Space Agency aimed at providing up to €300 million to space SMEs, as well as an estimated €7.8 billion in total national sector investments expected by 2028.

To build competitiveness quickly without sacrificing specialized innovation, leading Italian space firms are turning to mergers and acquisitions. Companies like Officina Stellare and D-Orbit are actively acquiring complementary tech and production specialists to expand their capabilities and secure larger government and defence contracts. Industry leaders emphasize that the key challenge moving forward is securing the necessary scale and capital before foreign competitors outpace or acquire them.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala has revealed he is undergoing treatment for a temporary neurological dysfunction after collapsing on the pitch twice within a four-day period. The most recent incident occurred on Tuesday during Bayern’s 4-2 friendly win against Heidenheim, where the 23-year-old collapsed just six minutes after entering as a substitute and had to be helped off the field appearing dazed. This followed a similar collapse during another friendly against RB Leipzig the previous Saturday.

Following the matches, Musiala addressed the situation directly on Instagram to reassure supporters, explaining that doctors have diagnosed him with brief, treatable absence seizures. While acknowledging that the episodes look alarming, he shared that he is receiving top-tier medical care, feels optimistic, and is fully supported by his family, friends, and FC Bayern. Bayern sporting director Max Eberl confirmed that the club was already aware of Musiala’s ongoing health condition prior to the recent matches.

The health scare comes as Musiala works his way back into form after missing the first half of last season due to a broken ankle suffered at the 2025 Club World Cup. He had successfully returned for the second half of the campaign and went on to start three matches for Germany at the 2026 World Cup.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

A magnitude 4.8 earthquake struck southern Spain on Tuesday morning, leaving at least three people lightly injured and causing structural damage across the historic city of Granada and surrounding areas. According to Spain’s National Geographic Institute (IGN), the shallow tremor occurred at 10:37 local time at a depth of under 10 km, with its epicenter located near the town of Alhendín, about 10 km south of Granada. The quake is the latest in a series of frequent, shallow seismic events that began in the region the previous Friday.

The sudden shaking sent terrified residents fleeing into the streets over fears of strong aftershocks. Falling debris from damaged buildings crushed parked vehicles, while municipal operations were disrupted, forcing the closure of several administrative buildings, sports centers, and local museums. Transit was also impacted, with Granada’s metro network reducing train speeds to 30 km/h (19 mph) as a safety precaution.

Granada’s famous medieval Islamic palace and UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Alhambra, was closed for the afternoon following the tremor. The world-famous attraction, which draws millions of international tourists annually, temporarily suspended visits as officials assessed the impact of the quake.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Iceland will hold a referendum on August 29 on whether to restart negotiations to join the European Union, a move EU officials believe could strengthen public support for further enlargement. Iceland already has access to the EU single market through the European Economic Area, and diplomats say its potential return to membership talks could improve the bloc’s image among sceptical voters.

A Gallup poll shows Icelanders evenly split, with 46% supporting and 46% opposing a restart of negotiations, while 8% remain undecided. EU diplomats see Iceland, a wealthy country with a population of around 400,000, as a relatively easy candidate to integrate and believe its possible accession could help build momentum for countries such as Montenegro, Albania, Moldova and Ukraine.

If talks resume, fisheries are expected to be the most difficult issue because of the sector’s importance to Iceland’s economy and national identity. EU Enlargement Commissioner Marta Kos said negotiations could take one to two years, with membership ultimately requiring a second referendum in Iceland and approval from all 27 EU member states.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Women staying in makeshift camps in Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta say they are facing sexual harassment and fear of assault while waiting to be registered by authorities. More than a dozen women are sleeping outdoors near an overcrowded migrant reception centre, which is currently sheltering around 700 people despite having capacity for about 500.

Spain’s largest police union, SUP, said 15 sexual assault cases of varying severity had been reported since July 30, although authorities have not confirmed the figure. Ceuta court authorities have confirmed three cases involving migrant women, including two minors. Health Minister Monica Garcia said medical services had treated five women for sexual violence and stressed that providing safe accommodation was an urgent priority.

Human rights organisations including Save the Children, UNICEF and Amnesty International have called for urgent measures to protect vulnerable migrant women and girls. Authorities are expanding temporary reception facilities and distributing food and hygiene supplies, but women living in the makeshift camps say they remain afraid, lack privacy and struggle to access safe toilets and showers.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright