featured News Trending

Grieving families of victims killed in a deadly bar fire at the Swiss ski resort of Crans-Montana are protesting what they see as serious failings in the handling of autopsies by local prosecutors. Parents of 17-year-old Trystan Pidoux said they repeatedly requested an autopsy before burying their son, but received no response until medics arrived unexpectedly to take his body on the eve of the funeral, forcing the family to cancel the burial. Only a small number of victims underwent autopsies, and in most cases only after bodies were released, according to sources close to the investigation.

Relatives of several of the 41 victims say the lack of comprehensive autopsies has shaken their confidence in the criminal inquiry into one of Switzerland’s worst modern tragedies. Prosecutors in the Valais canton, who are investigating suspected crimes including negligent homicide, have defended their conduct, saying they are expanding their team and securing evidence. Swiss authorities have urged patience, stressing the independence of the judiciary, even as international scrutiny grows.

Lawyers representing victims’ families say some are now considering requesting exhumations to determine how their loved ones died. Italy, which criticised the Swiss investigation, carried out its own post-mortem examinations on six Italian victims after repatriation. The fire, triggered by sparklers carried inside the bar, spread rapidly and led to deadly crowding at exits, with investigators still examining whether delays in evidence collection may have compromised the case.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Italy has formally protested the release on bail of a Swiss bar owner under investigation over a deadly New Year’s Day fire and has recalled its ambassador to Switzerland, escalating diplomatic tensions between the two countries. Jacques Moretti, co-owner of the Le Constellation bar in the Swiss ski resort of Crans-Montana, was freed on Friday after being detained earlier this month in connection with the blaze that killed dozens of people, including six Italians.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned the decision as “an insult to the memory of the victims and their families,” while the government said it had conveyed its strong indignation to Swiss judicial authorities. Meloni and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani also ordered Italy’s ambassador to return to Rome for consultations, arguing that the court’s decision underestimated the seriousness of the alleged crimes, the risk of flight, and the possibility of evidence being compromised.

Swiss prosecutors confirmed contact with Italian officials but stressed that the release was ordered by an independent court. Moretti was freed under strict conditions, including a 200,000 Swiss franc bail and daily police reporting. Lawyers for victims’ families said they were shocked by the ruling, warning that it added to the pain of those affected by the tragedy, while the Morettis said they would continue to cooperate fully with investigators.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

The Italian ski resort of Courmayeur has prohibited sparklers and other open flames in enclosed spaces following a deadly New Year’s Eve fire in Switzerland’s Crans-Montana that killed 40 people, including six Italians. Authorities believe the blaze was caused by “fountain candle” sparklers coming too close to the ceiling.

Courmayeur’s town hall announced that the ban applies to all enclosed public venues, while local authorities have stepped up inspections of nightclubs and other public spaces for safety compliance, including fire exits and capacity limits. Several clubs in Rome have already been shut down this month following similar checks.

Mayor Roberto Rota described the ban as “necessary and urgent” given the frequent use of open flames during celebrations, and some officials, including Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, are considering a nationwide indoor sparkler ban. Ski enthusiasts and residents have largely supported the measure as a proactive safety step.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Swiss prosecutors on Friday summoned the owners of a ski resort bar where a devastating fire during New Year’s celebrations claimed 40 lives, amid mounting public criticism over their continued freedom. Authorities are investigating the French owners, Jacques and Jessica Moretti, on suspicion of offences including homicide by negligence following the blaze at the “Le Constellation” bar in Crans-Montana.

The couple arrived for questioning at the prosecutor’s office in Sion on a day declared a national day of mourning in Switzerland, but declined to comment to the media. More than half of those killed were teenagers, and at least 116 people were injured, many seriously. In an earlier statement, the Morettis said they were devastated by the tragedy and pledged full cooperation with investigators.

Prosecutors said the legal grounds for detaining the couple have not yet been met. Investigators believe the fire may have started when sparkling candles ignited foam soundproofing on the bar’s basement ceiling. Scrutiny has also intensified over safety oversight, with the local mayor acknowledging missed inspections. Victims included nationals from Switzerland, France and Italy, and leaders from France and Italy were expected to attend a memorial ceremony to honour the dead.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Authorities in Switzerland have revealed that Le Constellation bar in the ski resort of Crans-Montana, where a devastating fire killed 40 people and injured 116 on New Year’s Day, had not undergone a safety inspection for five years. Mayor Nicolas Feraud said the council could not explain the lapse but expressed deep regret, acknowledging responsibility and apologising to the victims’ families.

The mayor announced that sparklers, believed to have ignited the blaze after being held too close to the ceiling, would be banned from all local venues. An external contractor will be appointed to inspect and audit all 128 establishments in the area. Feraud admitted that a small inspection team was responsible for overseeing more than 10,000 buildings, but said he had no explanation for why the bar had not been checked since 2019.

Swiss prosecutors have opened a criminal investigation, placing the two managers of the bar under scrutiny for suspected manslaughter and arson by negligence. While Feraud said it would be up to judges to determine whether local officials would also face investigation, the tragedy has raised wider questions about Switzerland’s decentralised safety enforcement system and whether warning signs were overlooked.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright

featured News Trending

Swiss authorities have identified all 40 victims of the New Year’s Eve fire at Le Constellation bar in the ski resort of Crans-Montana. The victims, aged 14 to 39, included teenagers and young adults from multiple nationalities, including Swiss, French, Italian, Romanian, Turkish, Portuguese, Belgian, UK, and Israeli. A national day of mourning has been declared in Switzerland for 9 January. In addition to the fatalities, 119 people were injured, many with severe burns.

Preliminary investigations suggest the fire started when sparklers on bottles came too close to the ceiling, potentially igniting acoustic foam. Prosecutors are investigating the French owners of the bar, suspected of manslaughter and negligence. Le Constellation was known as a popular venue for younger visitors, with the legal drinking age in the region at 16. Authorities have withheld further victim details out of respect for their families.

Several victims’ families have publicly mourned their loss, including Arthur Brodard and Charlotte Niddam. Emanuele Galeppini, a 16-year-old junior golfer from Italy, was also confirmed among the dead. The tragedy has shocked the international community, with tributes pouring in and authorities promising a thorough criminal investigation into the causes and safety violations linked to the fire.

Pic courtesy: google/ images are subject to copyright